*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1502107
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 2, 2007 at 2:33pm
The Comma Cops
by A Non-Existent User
I have a story posted that is getting some interesting feedback. Most say it is grammar-error free. The rest are evenly divided between "you have too many commas" and "you need more commas."

I've read "The Elements of Style" and other grammar books. None of them, of course, are in complete agreement. I used to be quite "comma happy" in that I made liberal use of them. Now I am about at the point where I am going to completely abandon the use of compound sentences. Why? For the simple reason that most reviewers are unable to discern an independent clause from a dependent one. I'm also convinced that most don't understand what a prepositional phrase is.

I'm not a grammar genius. I'm a guy who needs an editor. The site I switched from had "expert reviewers" that you could pay to examine your works for grammatical errors, among other things. Does WDC have anything like that? I should probably take a creative writing class at the local JC, but I promised myself after I got my degree I would never set foot on a college campus again. I would be willing to pay to learn more, but I would like to do it online.

Any suggestions would be super groovy.

Thanks,

Ed
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
The Comma Cops · 05-02-07 2:33pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: The Comma Cops · 05-02-07 3:55pm
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Re: The Comma Cops · 05-02-07 4:26pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: The Comma Cops · 05-02-07 8:06pm
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith
Re: Re: Re: Re: The Comma Cops · 06-10-07 10:12am
by the1stephzen

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1502107