*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1508889
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1213006
A place for adults to discuss writing and write intelligently on any topic, from E and up
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 13, 2007 at 1:30pm
Re: About Mothers for Mothers Day (E)
Melpha was my mother from Springville, Utah. She was not a graduate of BYU as she blew up the Chemistry Lab having to escape for SLC. While there she became the first woman in Utah to play the base fiddle. There were already many many pianists. She had her heart set on playing in the orchestra.

She and her girlfriend located an apartment in the Avenues, near the University of Utah and the LDS Business School that accepted her, not having a Chem Lab. She and Louise went out to see the Big City to find a theatre. They thought it odd that there were so many men. A charming usher wearing a grin came to fetch them, taking them to box seats by the stage. The lights dimmed, then a spotlight lit the stage as SALLY RAND AND HER HUGE PINK FANS, came onto the stage. Mother said she was close enough to tough the naked woman. She and Louise slipped down in their seats and crawled out of the theatre to laugh themselves silly saying, "I think the man in the front is our new Bishop. Ha Ha Ha HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!

Meanwhile Dad and his buddy wanted to see dancing girls. Their theatre had a lecture on botany. Didn't SLC have something called signs? They were disappointed and saw Mom and Louise walking home. Dad stopped his Ford Model A to offer them a ride.

She loved him from the start. As he spoke of his life, living with an Italian family and a newly widowed sister and her baby living with the Nuns at a cathedral, she thought he was a Catholic. She didn't want to lose him, so she pretended to be Catholic. He thought, "I don't want to lose her." He pretended to be Catholic. After a year they were married at her home in Springville. They were married SIX YEARS, surviving World War II and the birth of three children before they met Grandma, who asked the question, "What church do you belong to?" Mom shook, as the woman was stern looking her square in the eyes, concerned for her son. Mom said, "Mormon."

Elated from the one word, Grandma said, "Welcome to the family." I am sure that Grandma would have welcomed a Catholic girl. She was a devoted missionary raised in the home of Spencer W. Kimball, later an LDS Prophet.

Mom learned that she couldn't trust babysitters early and quit to raise the family of four kids, one died during the war. Dad had two jobs for many years, but it was still difficult, counting every penny. Thank you for the opportunity to share my Mom and Dad' romance.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY MOM. I KNOW YOU ARE IN HEAVEN. I LOVE YOU.
MESSAGE THREAD
About Mothers for Mothers Day (E) · 05-07-07 12:30pm
by Marcia Landa
Re: A Mother's Day Thread About Mothers · 05-07-07 12:40pm
by Marcia Landa
Re: Re: A Mother's Day Thread About Mothers · 05-07-07 3:48pm
by Smiling Jack
Re: Re: Re: A Mother's Day Thread About Mothers · 05-08-07 6:16pm
by Marcia Landa
Re: A Mother's Day Thread About Mothers · 05-07-07 2:33pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: About Mothers for Mothers Day (E) · 05-10-07 11:20pm
by A Non-Existent User
*Star* Re: About Mothers for Mothers Day (E) · 05-13-07 1:30pm
by Julie Caulfield
Re: Re: About Mothers for Mothers Day (E) · 05-14-07 11:13am
by Marcia Landa
Re: Re: Re: About Mothers for Mothers Day (E) · 05-14-07 11:16am
by Marcia Landa

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Marcia Landa.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1508889