*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1543818
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jul 9, 2007 at 11:34pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Does fact ever get in the way of fiction?
by A Non-Existent User

Hmm. I am in a bit of a quandary here. I come from a much different school of writing. To my mind, it is impossible to recreate reality on the written page. The best one can hope for is a close approximation, we call that "history" or sometimes "biography". I could write my own life story, keeping all the names, places and events the same, but my memory is not the most accurate form of recordkeeping available, so even then I would have to do hundreds of hours of research just to insure names, dates and places were accurate, let alone events.

On the other hand, nothing I draft can ever go unrevised. I deeply envy any writer who claims they never need to revise their work. Even "On the Road", by Jack Kerouac really needs a nice thorough revision in order to be enjoyable for me to read. As published, I find the whole work one notch short of complete rubbish, regardless of how "true" it might be.

Therefore, in my writing, I don't bother trying to tell or retell with any accuracy. I do go to great lengths to keep my writing believable, but to actually base a story on my life or the life of someone would be impossible for me. Reality is far too limiting.

Revision is what writing is all about. My suggestion would be don't worry about how much of yourself falls onto the page. You're going to have to go back and rewrite it anyway. Until the revision process begins and you start doing things like developing themes and consolidating metaphors, you can never be sure which piece of the original draft is going to be pure gold and which is going to be pure rubbish. I have often gone back and completely altered the central plot and theme of a work because something I never intended to appear in the story has proven itself to be far more important to the overall impact than I'd ever imagined it would be.

Lattahs!
akurgal

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
"Invalid Item
MESSAGE THREAD
Does fact ever get in the way of fiction? · 06-17-07 6:19pm
by the1stephzen
Re: Does fact ever get in the way of fiction? · 06-17-07 11:31pm
by Marcia Landa
Re: Re: Does fact ever get in the way of fiction? · 06-18-07 1:42pm
by Amarisa
Re: Re: Re: Does fact ever get in the way of fiction? · 06-27-07 9:22am
by the1stephzen
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Does fact ever get in the way of fiction? · 07-09-07 11:34pm
by A Non-Existent User
FACT SLIPPING INTO FICTION · 07-10-07 9:45am
by the1stephzen

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1543818