Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1694194
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Community · #1282022
Forum for all horror movie fans.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 23, 2008 at 2:22am
Japanese Remakes
by M. R. K
Been awhile since this forum was last updated I see. Well, I plan to be annoying and write on here every time I have something to say about a horror flick ;).

So I just came back from Shutter, (the american version), and I have to say I wasn't dissapointed; it was just as much the piece of garbage I expected it would be. Characters I could care less for, constant "cat scares", (things meant to scare the audience which really aren't scary at all, just quick movements, and they're the only "scary" aspect the film has to offer), numerous views of the ghost which by the end, I've seen her so many times, why should I even be slightly chilled by her appearance?, and a ridiculous ending that I won't spoil, not that I think any of my fellow horror fans here will be expecting much anyway.

Now, let me put it straight. I love japanese horror films, their creepy atmosphere, sinful/troubled characters, and horrifying images. I have no argument as to having those films remade for an American audience. I just wish producers remaking these films managed to keep the same aspects that made the originals so terrifying, instead of watering down everything so much that I even hear teenage girls laughing in the audience instead of feeling icy fingers running along their neck, as any good horror film inspires.

It infuriates me sometimes to wonder why these producers view American audiences as ignorant morons who will be frightened by flashy CGI, sloppy plots, (or for that matter, why in some cases it's true ;) ). I read a magazine called Fangoria which does interviews with cast and crew from all new and upcoming horror films, (great mag), and I read the article for Shutter. In it, the director, who is a resident of Japan himself, says that, in the original film, the two main characters hit the girl who becomes the ghostly specter, then drive away. The American producers felt that American audiences wouldn't 'sympathize with' or 'relate to' the main characters if they did this, so instead they invented some ridiculous scenarios in the remake. Now tell me, how the hell would we not sympathize or relate? How many of us every day drive by someone who needs help because we are afraid to stop or in a hurry? Or simply don't care? Now that's scary. If anything, I would sympathize more with the characters, because I would understand the mix of emotions going through them; they've just hit a girl, but they are newly married, and can't risk to help her and ruin their newly begun lives together. Now that's drama. That's character. That's conflict. I don't give a shit (pardon me) about characters who are run of the mill do gooders that act the same as every other character in every other film. Why must we constantly be subjected to these films these days where I simply don't care anymore?

One other aspect I'd like to touch on. Who can guess why every japanese remake is about some sort of ghost girl? In Japan, this theme is often used, as japanese are more frightened of their inner demons, past sins, than they are of monsters such as in America. I love the theme and respect it entirely. But japanese horror films have more to offer, such as greats like Infection and Host, Audition, three wonderful if not terrifying films. I guess in America, if it works once, reuse it over and over again until nobody cares anymore. I think we're succeeding with The Ring, The Ring 2, The Grudge 1,2,&3, One Missed Call, The Eye, Shutter, and probably some I'm forgetting. Woe, how the Japanese must feel in seeing their great films turned into such rumpled trash.

I guess that's about it for now. I could go on and on about the depressing state of American Horror films. I just hope other countries don't begin to experience the same slump. Hopefully, that's all it is. Thanks for reading.

-Matt

-when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Japanese Remakes · 03-23-08 2:22am
by M. R. K
Re: Japanese Remakes · 03-23-08 7:16am
by Pennywise
Re: Re: Japanese Remakes · 03-23-08 2:07pm
by M. R. K
Re: Re: Re: Japanese Remakes · 03-23-08 8:13pm
by Pennywise
Re: Re: Re: Re: Japanese Remakes · 03-23-08 8:36pm
by M. R. K

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Pennywise.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1694194