Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1697022
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Community · #1282022
Forum for all horror movie fans.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 27, 2008 at 8:21pm
Re: How about the SAW movies?
by M. R. K
Well, I always respect anothers opinions of films, but I have to say that I actually hate the Saw films.

The first film I do like and own on DVD. At the time it came out, it was original, with a tense setting/situation, and I felt that it brought back some of the things that the horror genre had been missing in recent years.

But, because hollywood sucks frankly, they figured, "this movie did well, let's make a new one each year". When you have film teams moving to make a sequel to a film each year, not only does it take the quality away from the film, but it doesn't add anything new to the franchise either-each film wants to do the same thing as the predeccesor, Hollywood figuring they'll make the same amount of money or more each year that way.

My biggest concern with the three sequels is that they turned the franchise into torture films. Each one is an hour and a half of characters that no one cares about, sitting in a room going through gratuitous, painful torture. The worst part is, it's not even scary. Always is it much more terrifying to imagine what is happening in a film than to actually see it. For Christs sake, there's a ten minute long autopsy scene in the fourth film that shows us every step to an autopsy in gruesome detail. I'm a fan of gore, believe me, read my work and you'll see that, but I only enjoy it when it adds to the film. Not when it's there simply to gross out.

I'm sorry if I killed anyone's love of these films, I don't mean to :). I'll be the first to admit that I still go watch them when a new one comes out. I think I'm way too dedicated to horror ;).

-Matt
MESSAGE THREAD
How about the SAW movies? · 03-27-08 8:06pm
by Celticeagle/km2007
*Star* Re: How about the SAW movies? · 03-27-08 8:21pm
by M. R. K
Re: Re: How about the SAW movies? · 04-01-08 6:48pm
by Pennywise

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Pennywise.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1697022