*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2875905
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(676)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #126963
A warm welcome to our newbies; come meet new and not-so-new members of Writing.Com!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 10, 2015 at 2:05pm
Re: Re: Re: A writer who doesn't know what to do with her...
Welcome, Cadie Laine - Happy 24th WDC! !

Matthew Frederick gave you some lovely suggestions! *Smile* I wanted to share my own personal experience as taking journal entries is essentially how I started my novel. *BookOpen*

I'm not a journaler - well, I journal in my head, but never write it down *Wink* - but I started with my life (with kids) and added a thought/theme/question: There is no edit-undo function in life...but, What if There Was? So I created a mom who had a pretty good life who woke up from a coma as a single, young woman in a different reality. From there, the story has developed (and continues to develop), but I've taken a lot of things from my current life and worked them in. You can take a look here: "Invalid Item Chapter 1 is essentially a mix of events from my life. Chapter 2 is when the big "event" happens to change Tessa's life.

Over time, the first chapter has morphed from a step-by-step (read: journal entry) of a typical day to including plot points, structure, and foreshadowing...but that's taken almost a year of being at WDC and learning about story development, creating tension, and dropping the non-essential bits among other things. And it's still not done! But it's a far cry from where I started with no idea where I was going. Over time, characters started to take on personalities and lives of their own - they have helped me create a much more involved story out of a simple idea and a basic understanding of a mother's life *Wink*

I've found that through reading other people's works here and engaging in conversations with people of all skill levels in various genres and at different stages of their writing (from just starting to multiple published works and everything in between), I've gained a ton of knowledge and been able to stretch myself, bettering my writing in small increments. But it's been a fun journey! I LOVE being here and being part of this community. *Earth*

--
1UppyEar

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
A writer who doesn't know what to do with her writing. · 08-29-15 3:11pm
by Cadie Laine - Happy 24th WDC!
Re: A writer who doesn't know what to do with her writing. · 08-29-15 7:18pm
by Tangled in a Ghost-Witch Web!
Re: A writer who doesn't know what to do with her writing. · 08-30-15 6:59am
by Matthew Frederick
Re: A writer who doesn't know what to do with her writing. · 08-30-15 9:35am
by Princess Morticia Megan Rose
Re: Re: A writer who doesn't know what to do with her wri... · 09-09-15 11:37pm
Re: Re: Re: A writer who doesn't know what to do with her... · 09-10-15 2:57am
by Matthew Frederick
Re: Re: Re: Re: A writer who doesn't know what to do with... · 09-10-15 11:28pm
*Star* Re: Re: Re: A writer who doesn't know what to do with her... · 09-10-15 2:05pm
by 1UppyEar
Re: Re: Re: Re: A writer who doesn't know what to do with... · 09-10-15 11:36pm

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, The StoryWitchress.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2875905