Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3172909
Rated: GC · Message Forum · Community · #2146092
A support forum for writers dealing with mental illness
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 19, 2018 at 6:37am
Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of March
by QPdoll
I can confidently say that I have forgiven my father for the things he did to me. It took many, many years. The first year after everything happened I didn't speak to my father. I didn't tell him good morning, bye, hello—nothing. It wasn't until my mother came to talk with me that I began speaking to him again, but it wasn't a lot and surely about nothing important.

It wasn't long before I got married. I did let him walk me down the aisle. I was so thrilled to be getting married and leaving my parents home, but it left intimacy difficult for me. My father did not have sex with me, but he did put his hands on me in a way a father never should. So it was the beginning of intimacy that would trigger the event. It caused some difficult times in my marriage.

But, quite a long time later, while I was going to church I heard the pastor preach about forgiveness. It made me realize that forgiveness wasn't for my father, but for me, and let me tell you it was so freeing. I never, ever thought I could forgive my father. But today I can give him a kiss and a hug and not feel bad about it. I know it's helped him, too. We've never spoken about it but the message is clear that he really does love me and he is sorry about what he did. And now, he's glad that he "has his daughter back." I'm glad, too, because he's been a great paw-paw. He's the only one my kids have so I'm happy that he's been so good to them. I've actually never been worried about my kids being with him. I just knew that he wouldn't do anything to them like he did to me.

There isn't anybody that I haven't forgiven, that I can think of anyway. I was angry with my mother for a while after this happened with my father. I expected her to leave him, but she didn't. I felt like she wasn't sticking up for me. I couldn't believe that she chose him over me. I was so hurt. So, I was angry with her for a long time, but then I realized that he's all she would have after my brother and I left. I certainly didn't want her to be alone. So I forgave her about the same time I forgave my dad. The difference is that I actually spoke to my mother prior to the forgiveness. I guess there's just a bond between a child and their mother.

I don't feel exactly close to my mom and I'd like to be. But we do talk and my kids go to their house (it's an hour away) and stay for days—a week or two in the summer. My mother and I went out to a movie and dinner last night. It was really nice, so we've decided we're going to do this once a month. If there's not a movie we want to see, then we'll go shopping or something. I love my mom and hope that my kids don't ever feel about me like I did about her. I want to be closer to my kids than I am to my mom. So I have to work to build up that relationship. I don't know how long she'll have my dad. He has COPD. He'll be seventy years old this year. My mom told me that she hopes he will be like his grandpa and live into his nineties. That's a big wish. But, besides the COPD my parents are both pretty healthy.

So, it took a very long time, but forgiveness was freeing for me. You wouldn't think that, but it really is true.

Wishing a Happy New Year
MESSAGE THREAD
ToTW 18th - 25th of March · 03-18-18 5:58pm
by Charlie ~
Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of March · 03-19-18 12:29am
by Warped Sanity
Re: Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of March · 03-19-18 2:11am
by Cinn
Re: Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of March · 03-19-18 6:40am
by QPdoll
*Star* Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of March · 03-19-18 6:37am
by QPdoll
Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of March · 03-19-18 7:33am
by ~Minja~
Re: Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of March · 03-19-18 8:35am
by Choconut
Re: Re: Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of March · 03-19-18 9:35am
by Warped Sanity
Re: Re: Re: Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of March · 03-19-18 10:24am
by ~Minja~
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of March · 03-19-18 10:37am
by Warped Sanity
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of March · 03-19-18 10:46am
by Warped Sanity
Re: Re: Re: Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of March · 03-19-18 10:27am
by Jayne
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of March · 03-19-18 9:06pm
by 🕸️intuey's Spider Web
Re: Re: Re: Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of March · 03-19-18 4:52pm
by Cinn
Re: Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of March · 03-19-18 4:22pm
by Cinn
Re: Re: Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of March · 03-19-18 5:08pm
by ~Minja~
Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of March · 03-19-18 10:59pm
by Prosperous Snow celebrating
Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of March · 04-12-18 5:41am
by Nunya

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Charlie ~.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3172909