*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3174378
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #102362
Drop your new ideas into the Writing.Com Suggestion Box!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 25, 2018 at 7:05pm
Re: Blog Sorting
by Past Member 'northernwrites'
Bug reports go to "Bug Reporting.

If a Book item is attached to the Blog tab, the format options are mostly overridden except for the choice of 10 or 20 entries displayed at once. The other formatting options work if the Book item is not attached to the Blog tab, except that everything default-sorts last on top, which is a known bug. I haven't gone and tested just now but I haven't seen any problems in my Book items that use other formats.

Meantime with the manage page --

If I was doing that kind of sorting, I'd do it by assigning order numbers of 4 digits according to the date they were created -- mmdd where the month number depends on what year it was made -- 01-12 for the first year, 13-24 for the second year, etc.

Assign numbers to a whole page at once, then submit the page. One pass. No manual sorting.

Two entries created on the same day and assigned the same number will automatically sort by the second default sort of (essentially) time of day.

Since new entries will be added at the bottom with a zero order number and sort by the date-stamp, oldest at the bottom, this system will work to manage future entries as well.

A book could hold 8+ years of entries with that order numbering system before running out of number space. Most people run out of book space before then. If you don't think you'll use up your book space that fast, go through the date-sorted list for a second pass and use increment numbers (1,2,3 ...) from the bottom.

Hope that helps.

*Snow2* *Snow2* *Snow2* Northernwrites___*Pencil*

~~Image #6000 Sharing Restricted~~ ~~Image #603504 Sharing Restricted~~
MESSAGE THREAD
Blog Sorting · 03-25-18 5:17pm
by Whata SpoonStealer
*Star* Re: Blog Sorting · 03-25-18 7:05pm
by Past Member 'northernwrites'
Re: Re: Blog Sorting · 03-25-18 7:55pm
by Whata SpoonStealer

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, The StoryWitchress.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3174378