SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3184997
Rated: GC · Message Forum · Community · #2146092
A support forum for writers dealing with mental illness
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 10, 2018 at 6:36am
Re: Re: TotW 7th May - 13th May
This week, I'd like to hear what everyone's support system is like. Who comprises your support system? How effective is your support system? Do you even have a support system? Have you ever been to a support group of any sort? Are the members of WDC part of your support system? Can online support systems even be useful? How has your support system changed throughout the years? If you could change something about your support system, what would you change?

That is a lot of questions to think about. I need to break it down.

Who comprises your support system? How effective is your support system? Do you even have a support system?
I have a good support system. David, my husband, is my rock. He is always there for me and hasn't left me through all of my crazy. Nina and Shell, my two best friends since we were five. They have stood by me always and supported me no end. They are the best two friends in the world. My Auntie Beryl. She is the closest thing to a mum I have now. We speak at least once a week on the phone, and she is always ready to listen and offer the kind of advice my mum would have. Last (but definitely not least) my doctor, Dr Harris. She phones me every week to see how I am. She comes to me when I can't make in into her office. She has even dropped off my medication before. She phones people when I can't and I know I can phone her any time, if things are spiralling out of control. I even have her email address; just in case. Without these people, i wouldn't be here.

Have you ever been to a support group of any sort?
No. Well, not really. Years ago (I'm talking around 1998) I attended a six week CBT course, and there was about six of us in that group. But it wasn't a support group. It was about learning CBT.

Are the members of WDC part of your support system? Can online support systems even be useful?
Yes. yes, and yes. WDC is my support system. I would say the people on here who read my writing know more about me than anyone else in the world. It's easier to be honest and more candid when you don't have to see the look of judgement in the other person's eye. Plus, I feel I have real friends on here. There are some people I know I would have a hoot with if we ever met in real life. There are many people who have offered an ear for when things get really bad, and I know they would genuinely try to help. The activities I take part in on WDC are also part of that support network. They keep me busy and keep my mind focussed on something other than my own pity-party. WDC is vital to my mental health.

How has your support system changed throughout the years? If you could change something about your support system, what would you change?
For the seven years I was married to my first husband, I had no support system. It was just me and him. So, to have so many people looking out for me now is amazing. I feel very lucky. Shell and Nina have been a constant in my life. Sometimes, from afar, but always there. I guess the big change in recent years has been the loss of Mum and Dad. Mum is the one person who has always loved me, no matter what stupid things I've done. She never judged me. Her love was pure and unconditional. I miss her so much. I miss her love so much. Dad, although often critical, he got me. We were actually very similar in lot of our thought-processes. I don't think anyone has ever understood me like he did. So, the loss of them has changed my whole world; support system included. I've always been close to Auntie Beryl, but our relationship has become much stronger since Mum died. And, finally, David. He says he supports me, and he has always supported me. But he doesn't get my insecurities and depressive thought processes. It annoys him. He thinks I should be able to just change my way of thinking. Like it's that simple. He doesn't understand that, sometimes, all I want is a hug. To feel his arms around me and know I'm safe. He gets angry when I try to explain it to him, and so I don't. That's the thing I would change, if I could. I would want him to know how much I need his strength sometimes.
MESSAGE THREAD
TotW 7th May - 13th May · 05-07-18 10:29am
by Charlie ~
Re: TotW 7th May - 13th May · 05-09-18 1:17pm
by Shh...whisper, MHWAmember
Re: Re: TotW 7th May - 13th May · 05-14-18 5:05pm
by ~Minja~
Re: TotW 7th May - 13th May · 05-09-18 2:09pm
by ♥OctOGRE tHiNg♥
Re: Re: TotW 7th May - 13th May · 05-14-18 5:11pm
by ~Minja~
Re: TotW 7th May - 13th May · 05-09-18 5:54pm
by Andie
*Star* Re: Re: TotW 7th May - 13th May · 05-10-18 6:36am
by Choconut
Re: Re: Re: TotW 7th May - 13th May · 05-14-18 5:37pm
by ~Minja~
Re: TotW 7th May - 13th May · 05-10-18 4:12pm
by Prosperous Snow celebrating
Re: Re: TotW 7th May - 13th May · 05-14-18 5:52pm
by ~Minja~
Re: TotW 7th May - 13th May · 05-14-18 6:31pm
by Warped Sanity

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Charlie ~.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3184997