SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3190948
Rated: GC · Message Forum · Community · #2146092
A support forum for writers dealing with mental illness
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 6, 2018 at 7:30am
Re: Re: TotW 1st - 8th June
Logical fallacies, defined as "common errors in reasoning that will undermine the logic of your argument," are some of the biggest roadblocks in communication and personal growth. Look at these common logical fallacies (make sure to click show more images at the bottom to see all of the fallacies!).

What do you think of logical fallacies? Which of these logical fallacies have you experienced either in yourself or in other people? Which do you think are most common? Can you think of any experiences you've had that didn't get resolved because of one or more of these logical fallacies? How can understanding logical fallacies better help us communicate, and what positive effects could that have on our relationships and personal growth?

I've never heard the term 'Logical Fallacies' before. Many years ago (probably about 1998), I had six sessions of CBT. In those sessions, we looked at thought patterns that affected our mental health. I'm guessing it's the same thing?

As I read through each fallacy, I noted how most of them apply to just about every politician we have right now. The Strawman, to misrepresent someone else's argument to make it easier to attack. Wow. I think we all know which one does that.

But, no politics. The fallacy that affects me most frequently is the Slippery Slope. I think it is the same as catastrophising? I've been told I do that a lot. It drives my hubby crazy because I always take everything to the worst possible outcome. Like, I have a sore throat. Therefore, it's throat cancer. That kind of thing.

The fallacy I was intrigued by is Burden of Proof. I know we are looking at our own thought patterns, but in the legal system, it is the reverse of this that applies. People are innocent, and the burden is on the prosecution to prove their guilt. So, I wonder why this fallacy is so wrong?

I think the argument used the most is the Appeal to Emotion. I'm sure, if we're honest, we've all used this at some point in our lives. What saddens me is how much this is used to frighten people in today's political climate. Our leaders and politicians tell us we must be afraid of people who look differently to us. We are told they will steal all our jobs and money. We must keep them out. We must separate ourselves from the rest of the continent because we have no control over our own country. It's all scaremongering, and it's all for agendas that don't actually serve the people. Take BREXIT, for example, this was an example of Black or White thinking. Either we voted to leave the EU, and to safeguard our economy and people's jobs. Or, we voted to stay in and be ruled by other countries and find ourselves flooded by stealing, murdering immigrants. Black or white. Appeals to Emotion. Straw man. Loaded question. Probably all the fallacies in there.

Sorry, I turned political again. But I just hate being lied to, you know?

I think being aware of these fallacies is good, if we are aware of how they damage our thought process. Working on them can help personal growth. If I'm honest, though, I found these fallacies to be worded weirdly. Other than the political side, I wasn't sure they have a lot of relevance for me.
MESSAGE THREAD
TotW 1st - 8th June · 05-31-18 11:52pm
by Charlie ~
Re: TotW 1st - 8th June · 06-01-18 12:20am
by Dragon is hiding
Re: TotW 1st - 8th June · 06-01-18 7:54am
by Warped Sanity
*Star* Re: Re: TotW 1st - 8th June · 06-06-18 7:30am
by Choconut
Re: Re: Re: TotW 1st - 8th June · 06-17-18 2:56pm
by Whata SpoonStealer
Re: TotW 1st - 8th June · 06-06-18 1:51pm
by Prosperous Snow celebrating
Re: TotW 1st - 8th June · 06-14-18 4:48pm
by Whata SpoonStealer

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Charlie ~.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3190948