*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3203308
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #102362
Drop your new ideas into the Writing.Com Suggestion Box!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Aug 6, 2018 at 5:29pm
Re: Suggestion
by Past Member 'northernwrites'
When there is a question of whether you know what you are doing, the proper forum to post in is "Technical Support Forum.

1) The search utility for users is the Authors page (the button below Community in the left navigation menu).

The site search searches within item numbers, titles, brief descriptions, and keywords, and is filtered according to access restrictions and your own content filter setting. It does not search within items. Some items and listings contain their own internal search utility.

The main search page is linked at the bottom of the Community submenu in the left navigation menu. The Browse by Type and Browse by Genre options in the left navigation menu are specialized search pages. The search box at the top of the left nav menu is also specialized, and has defaults that must be changed if you want something else. When the default is set to Things to Read or Reading, you must change that if you're looking for a non-literary-work item, such as a Forum or Group.

If the UI is too small on your mobile device, you can try turning the Zoom on temporarily (left nav menu near the bottom) or switching to Full Site view (also in the left nav menu near the bottom). The switch back from Full Site View to Mobile View is in the left column of the bottom of the page menu. Using a fine-point stylus that works for any touch screen can also make a difference.

Or it may be that your device screen is simply too small to use the site effectively, or that your device browser is too old/out-of-date to perform the user-assist functions that are provided, such as pop-up magnifiers when you tap on an area of a menu when in Full Site View. If you are using the browser that came with the mobile device, adding Chrome might improve your experience.

2) See My Favorites and Fans from Writing.Com 101  for details.

Make sure you are Favoriting the correct thing: Item Favorites are located at the top right corner of the item. Author Favorites are located in the author's userlink.

The right nav menu Favorites header lists only items you have favorited or fanned that have been modified most recently. It is not the Favorites "page". To get to the main Favorites page, click on the FAVORITES header in the right nav menu, or in the left nav menu, use My Account/Favorites or any of the Favorites subpages linked there.

If you're using an i-device, which has a hardware quirk, you may need to tap some buttons around the site twice to get them to operate. A first tap will just select or highlight the button.

the content filter drop-down overlays the >> button making it unusable.

This sounds like you're using Full Site view on your mobile device. So far as I can see, that problem doesn't happen on my laptop or tablet.

Check that you have the option for Mobile View enabled in your My Account/Account Settings, under Site Display Options. Submit changes if you make any. You may need to log out and log in again for a change to take effect.

3) That would be convenient, but it's been requested before, and rejected because it would be too much server load.

Once you click into an item, you can see at the bottom whether you've reviewed it or not.

And just in case:
The standard first response suggestions for when something is weird:
1. Clear browser cache. Shut down all browser windows. Reboot the browser.
2. Make sure your browser is up to date. [The log data shows your Chrome is somewhat out of date.]
3. Try another browser.
4. Reboot your computer.

Hope that helps.

*Snow2* *Snow2* *Snow2* Northernwrites___*Pencil*

~~Image #6000 Sharing Restricted~~ ~~Image #603504 Sharing Restricted~~
MESSAGE THREAD
Suggestion · 08-06-18 12:39pm
by RobMcGee
*Star* Re: Suggestion · 08-06-18 5:29pm
by Past Member 'northernwrites'
Re: Re: Suggestion · 08-06-18 5:49pm
by RobMcGee

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, The StoryWitchress.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3203308