*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3255814
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Fantasy · #2180090
Message forum for readers of the BoM/TWS interactive universe.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 12, 2019 at 3:05am
Twist on a current story line
by bori258
I mentioned this in the QotW #8 but I think it bears repeating here; the current story line (the AV guys using masks to become cheerleaders and make Will popular) has quickly grown into one of my favorite in the entire BoM universe. One of the main reasons to make Will popular would be to attract the attention of certain female students. This has started to be explored a little bit with the Kristy Suffolk branch, but he swapped into her in that branch and then it went off in a weird direction. So it got me to thinking, keeping with the same formula, what other groups of less explored characters (and characters who could be connected to the cheerleaders through one or two betas) could the guys infiltrate? My answer to that is the girls soccer and basketball teams. And why would the guys infiltrate those groups of students? Because instead of choosing Kristy Suffolk as his girlfriend, Will has decided he would like to date Stephanie Wyatt (and not as a beta, the actual girl). In the majority of the story lines involving Will and Stephanie, he can't seem to break down her exterior (the way he's done with Chelsea in a few of the longer interactions with her). He either falls into the role of her lackey or the focus of her ire. I think it would be a great way to explore Stephanie's character and the dynamic between her and Will in much more in depth. The other benefit exploring this would afford is more masking shenanigans (OK, so sue me but this one is purely selfish. I love story branches that have a lot of masking and it seems like lately the chapters are heavy on exposition and gravity and very light on using different masks for fun). Anita Nuevo, Almida Jones, Dominique Hughes, Kristy Suffolk, Coach Schell and Coach Puente (to name a few possibilities) are all new characters, or old characters with limited backstories, who can be introduced or further developed.

Now in the scenario that has played out in my head, Will and Stephanie would end up becoming an item. However, at some point Will is going to have to come clean about the masks to Stephanie. Almost certainly, she's going to be furious with him about this. It's essentially a breach of trust between them. Therein lies the first conflict, does Stephanie want to use the masks? In other story lines she's been reluctant to use the masks but maybe with some coaxing from Will and logic from Fairfax she can be persuaded. With that being said, I can see Stephanie pretty much demanding some of the people who are betas being "freed." But I can also see her asking to keep a few key people in place because now she has a mission for herself and the guys. Much the same way early on in the BoM universe Will couldn't figure out why Lisa left him; Stephanie has always been perplexed as to why Marc Garner has never noticed her (or perhaps turned her down). This could be a reason that she seemingly has resting bitch face 24/7. This is also a common thread she shares with Will. Maybe externally they are polar opposites but at their core they are very similar and have been hurt similarly. Will got over Lisa by using the masks to date Stephanie and now it's Stephanie's turn to use the masks to get over Marc. And this sets up another conflict, do normal relationship rules apply when you're disguised as someone else? If Will and Stephanie are a couple, is it cheating if one of them has to be intimate with someone else while disguised in order to keep up appearances? Is it cheating if they are disguised as, say, Cindy and Seth? Is it cheating if Will is intimate with Stephanie, but the Stephanie he's intimate with is a beta and Will didn't know she disguised herself as someone else for a mission? Just some food for thought...

If any of you guys have anything to add to this story idea or any constructive criticism please feel free to add to the thread.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Twist on a current story line · 03-12-19 3:05am
by bori258
Re: Twist on a current story line · 03-13-19 12:07pm
by Seuzz
Re: Re: Twist on a current story line · 03-13-19 2:28pm
by bori258

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Seuzz.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3255814