*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3297475
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
Starts Oct. 1st! A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 2, 2019 at 1:56am
What makes you fall in love with a character/story?
I'm working through some writing exercises and my brain is mush (you know when you brainstorm and yell at yourself/contradict yourself? Yeah).

Anyway. I ended up thinking about what makes stories matter to individual readers. Some folks love explosions and intrigue. Some are in it for the romance. I really love messed up characters finding solace in something, and snarky dialogue, and breathtaking descriptions of the play of light on objects (shh I know it's weird), and smart but socially-inept characters, and complex and well-developed systems of magic, and stories about siblings or friends, and those moments where a situation gets so intense that even The Inveterate Stoic fails to remain unfazed, and gritty and horrifying concepts presented in a no-nonsense way that makes me feel hollow and speechless, and found family stories, and—

I think the things that make a story sing are different for everyone. Writing out a list of mine a long while back helped me understand what I valued in writing and helped shape my writing a bit. (I wrote out the list to prep for my first NaNo, crafted a whole book around what made me happy, and wrote the whole thing start to finish with little to no prep and no big bumps in the road. I loved every aspect, so it came easy. (This year's Prep is proving a bit more challenging, which might be an indication that I should make another list.)

If anyone has a spare moment to share the elements of fiction or character that bring them joy, that would be cool!

- -

"Let me live, love and say it well
in good sentences."
- Sylvia Plath

*MushroomB* *Books3**Books5* "Invalid Item *Books5**Books2* *MushroomB*
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
What makes you fall in love with a character/story? · 10-02-19 1:56am
by Roseille ♥
Re: What makes you fall in love with a character/story? · 10-02-19 9:27am
by Storm Machine

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Brandiwyn🎶.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3297475