*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3532547
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Fantasy · #2180090
Message forum for readers of the BoM/TWS interactive universe.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Nov 9, 2022 at 12:24pm
Commentary: "Just the Typical Hollywood Story"
by Seuzz
"Just the Typical Hollywood Story: It's a question that always comes up, eventually. If you can use the masks to steal an identity with no chance of being detected, why not use it to steal the identity of a celebrity or a billionaire? And there's three answers to it.

1. Every branch in BoM is "early days" for the mask-maker. Give him or her time, and they'll wind up in Hollywood, New York, Tokyo, with lots of money and/or fame. They just haven't gotten there yet.

2. BoM, to the extent it has a theme, is about self-creation and self-discovery, and the teenage years are the best arena for that kind of thematic exploration. So the interactive is going to spend almost all its time in a high school setting.

3. The authors at least went to high school. I personally won't speak for the others, but I have no idea what it's like to live and work in Big Entertainment, Big Tech, Big Money, or Big Politics. I'm not real comfortable trying to write within those worlds.

Still, it does seem like there should be one spot where a move is made in the obvious direction.

Masktrix already did this in "Beverly Hills Cult and its sequel, but my style is to take things slower. I need to write the characters out in order to get to know them, and that's what's going on in this string of chapters. Is the result a plausible sketch of the career and psychology of a D-list TV actor? I've no idea. I've even less idea if it was compelling or even minimally interesting, though judging by the GPs I got sent, it did get some love. And I enjoyed writing it.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Commentary: "Just the Typical Hollywood Story" · 11-09-22 12:24pm
by Seuzz
Re: Commentary: "Just the Typical Hollywood Story" · 02-12-24 12:53pm
by Seuzz
Re: Re: Commentary: "Just the Typical Hollywood Story" · 02-13-24 4:50pm
by imaj
Re: Re: Re: Commentary: "Just the Typical Hollywood Story" · 02-13-24 11:54pm
by rugal b.
Re: Re: Commentary: "Just the Typical Hollywood Story" · 02-13-24 5:16pm
by rugal b.

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Seuzz.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3532547