*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3685332
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore. Log an assignment before 10/4.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 3, 2024 at 12:44am
Re: Re: October 3: Character- Protagonist Profile
Remember Hemingway's Iceberg - 90% of backstory will not be in the story.

There are 3 schools of thought on this and none are wrong. They are simply a matter of choice.

The first is create the characters and let the plot evolve around what you have developed for them. You might even have an idea for the story and what is going to happen, but the ay you develop the characters could change what the conflicts are, the inciting incident is, all that sort of thing.

The second is to have the story done and develop the characters who would best inhabit and navigate through the story beats.

The third is a combination of both, tweaking the plot to accommodate the characters and tweaking the characters to accommodate the plot as you progress through the plotting process.

Yes, it may well seem like 2 different stories, but that does not mean either is bad/ wrong. The only thing I would suggest is try not to shoehorn a character into a situation for which they are really, really unsuited. Otherwise, let the story take you and your characters where it will!

Personally, I have used both. Sometimes a character comes to me and I develop a story around what that character would do and be involved in; other times I have a story and then i have to populate it with relevant characters.

So, no, you're not "the weird one" - you are a normal writer working through what works best for you.
MESSAGE THREAD
October 3: Character- Protagonist Profile · 10-02-24 7:31pm
by Sticky Draconic Vampire saysHH
Re: October 3: Character- Protagonist Profile · 10-02-24 8:07pm
by severed head
Re: Re: October 3: Character- Protagonist Profile · 10-02-24 9:06pm
by PennyWriter
Re: Re: Re: October 3: Character- Protagonist Profile · 10-02-24 9:07pm
by PennyWriter
Re: Re: Re: Re: October 3: Character- Protagonist Profile · 10-02-24 9:13pm
by severed head
Re: Re: Re: October 3: Character- Protagonist Profile · 10-02-24 11:26pm
by QueenNormaJean Let's Go!Go!Go!
Re: October 3: Character- Protagonist Profile · 10-03-24 12:22am
by Fearlycia Lee ā˜®
Re: October 3: Character- Protagonist Profile · 10-03-24 12:27am
by Fearlycia Lee ā˜®
*Star* Re: Re: October 3: Character- Protagonist Profile · 10-03-24 12:44am
by severed head

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BattywynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3685332