*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3685349
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore. Log an assignment before 10/4.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 3, 2024 at 6:42am
Re: Re: Oh, 'eck! I'm totally out of comfort zone
As someone in the mental health sector, I'd just like to point out that schizophrenia isn't the same as multiple personalities. I know it's portrayed that way in Hollywood, but it's not.

Schizophrenia tends to have hallucinations and delusions, usually paranoid delusions, as primary symptoms. It's usually very hard to treat, partly because the people don't trust others, so they don't trust the meds. Since the meds take away the hallucinations and paranoid delusions, they often reason that their ability to discern reality is being blunted, so they won't take their meds so they can see the truth. Also, if they are able to realize those beliefs really weren't true, for some reason, they often think they don't need theor meds anymore because they're now fine. They get off them, the parania comes back, and it's super hard to get them back on again. There is no cure for schizophrenia. They must remain medicated to remain stable. They often don't live productive lives because they often don't stay on medication.

Multiple personality disorder, now called dissociative identity disorder, doesn't tend to have either paranoia or hallucinations, though I suppose one could argue that the person is under the delusion that they are different people. However, in severe cases, 1 personality can have positive pregnancy tests while another doesn't or 1 will need glasses while another doesn't, so it can be a wild medical situation. To mt knowledge, there is no medicine to cure MPD/DID. One of the common treatments is to get to know the personalities and introduce them to the original one (I forgot the term for the original person) and help them become integrated. They also have to face the trauma that caused the splitting of personalities. They can, eventually, with a lot of therapy, approach something that seems like a cure and they can live productive lives.

Another difference is that doctors agree, and have for a VERY long time, that schizophrenia exists. However, there are still many professionals who question or downright disagree with the idea of DID being a "real" disorder. Additionally, schizophrenia has a genetic component, while DID does not...that we've discovered.

A commonality is that both are born out of trauma. DiD requires severe childhood trauma, causing parts of the original identity to split, generally resulting in a protector as well as other personalities. Schizophrenia can be triggered at an older age, though usually not beyond the 20's. It's a complete breakdown of the person's ability to cope more than it is an actual coping mechanism like DID is.

Sorry for such a long response. A lot of folks get the 2 confused. I like to try to set things straight when I can. Lol

Home of the Free Because of the Brave Signature
MESSAGE THREAD
Oh, 'eck! I'm totally out of comfort zone · 10-02-24 6:23am
by Choconut
Re: Oh, 'eck! I'm totally out of comfort zone · 10-02-24 6:28am
by severed head
Re: Re: Oh, 'eck! I'm totally out of comfort zone · 10-02-24 8:36am
by BattywynšŸŽ¶
Re: Oh, 'eck! I'm totally out of comfort zone · 10-02-24 7:19am
by Dawn Embers
Re: Re: Oh, 'eck! I'm totally out of comfort zone · 10-02-24 8:36am
by BattywynšŸŽ¶
Re: Oh, 'eck! I'm totally out of comfort zone · 10-02-24 7:19am
by WakeUpAndLiveļøšŸ¦‡Elf'sSpell
Re: Re: Oh, 'eck! I'm totally out of comfort zone · 10-02-24 10:58am
by BattywynšŸŽ¶
*Star* Re: Re: Oh, 'eck! I'm totally out of comfort zone · 10-03-24 6:42am
by Schnujo is Prepping 5 Novels
Re: Re: Re: Oh, 'eck! I'm totally out of comfort zone · 10-03-24 2:48pm
by BattywynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Re: Re: Oh, 'eck! I'm totally out of comfort zone · 10-03-24 3:00pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oh, 'eck! I'm totally out of comfort ... · 10-03-24 4:16pm
by Rojodi
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oh, 'eck! I'm totally out of comf... · 10-03-24 4:20pm
Re: Oh, 'eck! I'm totally out of comfort zone · 10-02-24 7:26am
by Chrys O'Shea
Re: Re: Oh, 'eck! I'm totally out of comfort zone · 10-02-24 11:01am
by BattywynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Re: Oh, 'eck! I'm totally out of comfort zone · 10-03-24 5:19am
by Choconut
Re: Oh, 'eck! I'm totally out of comfort zone · 10-02-24 8:34am
by BattywynšŸŽ¶

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BattywynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3685349