*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3685565
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore. Log an assignment before 10/4.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 3, 2024 at 7:47pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ready for Prep!
Oh, that's awesome! And it's so reasonable to hit a roadblock at the 50% mark! I do every time, and it's almost always because I've put so much effort in that I start worrying that maybe it wasn't worth it—maybe I should just give up. It's hard to push through the second half of a draft.

Another reason why a lot of folks stall at the halfway point is colloquially called the "muddled middle"—where writers have a clear image of how a book starts and a relatively clear idea of where they want it to go, but not as many ideas for how exactly it gets there/how to keep it exciting during the looooooooong stretch between beginning and end. There are a lot of ways to combat that feeling, but it can definitely be rough.

It is absolutely not because you're lazy! (That's very clear from your dedication to prepping and your amazing progress in NaNo.) It's just that writing books is hard, and there are so many unexpected roadblocks along the path. If you ever decide to come back to a draft and finish it, you'll have a bunch of options to choose from, and I think that's amazing. You don't have to finish any of those books now.

I wrote the first half of one of my projects in 2014 (during NaNo, actually!) and then stalled at the middle and worried that it was all nonsense and I shouldn't continue. I let that half-draft sit for over six years before I speed-wrote the second half in June/July of 2020! *Laugh* So it's never too late to finish a book.

- -

"Let me live, love and say it well
in good sentences."
- Sylvia Plath

*MushroomB* *Books3**Books5* "Intercession *Books5**Books2* *MushroomB*
MESSAGE THREAD
Ready for Prep! · 09-15-24 5:29pm
by Roseille ♥
Re: Ready for Prep! · 09-15-24 8:47pm
by Sticky Draconic Vampire saysHH
Re: Ready for Prep! · 09-15-24 8:55pm
by QueenNormaJean Let's Go!Go!Go!
Re: Re: Ready for Prep! · 09-15-24 9:05pm
by PennyWriter
Re: Ready for Prep! · 09-18-24 5:16pm
by Showering Dutchessbarbie.
Re: Ready for Prep! · 10-03-24 11:18am
by Schnujo is Prepping 5 Novels
Re: Re: Ready for Prep! · 10-03-24 2:56pm
by Battywyn🎶
Re: Re: Ready for Prep! · 10-03-24 4:20pm
by Roseille ♥
Re: Re: Re: Ready for Prep! · 10-03-24 5:28pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ready for Prep! · 10-03-24 7:07pm
by Roseille ♥
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ready for Prep! · 10-03-24 7:15pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ready for Prep! · 10-03-24 7:44pm
by severed head
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ready for Prep! · 10-03-24 9:09pm
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ready for Prep! · 10-03-24 7:47pm
by Roseille ♥

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Battywyn🎶.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3685565