*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1510047-The-Book-of-Masks/cid/1415027-Connective-Masks
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Fantasy · #1510047
A mysterious book allows you to disguise yourself as anyone.
This choice: Idea 3  •  Go Back...
Chapter #3

Connective Masks

    by: Gimlet
One possibility is something the maker of masks would likely not use (though it's certainly possible). The spell requires two, blank, unimprinted masks with unimprinted mind strips. Additional work and materials would be needed, but the masks should be in contact with each other (or possibly both on some sort of stand together) when the spell forms the new powers in them. The result links the masks together and they change from the blue, sheen to a deep purple, but still both blank.

When worn ONE of the masks will do nothing. However if two people wear both masks at the same time their minds are permanently linked and the masks are gone! This forms two bodies with a mind as an amalgam of those from the two original minds, but the new mind controls both bodies simultaneously and seemingly easily, with no confusion over which body it is using. Mental confusion however might well ensue as one body would have to act as it normally would, and although the new mind has all the information of the mind that once inhabited that body it would have to sort out which memories, habits and mannerisms go with that body. A lot of experience using mind strips and masks would help with this confusion somewhat.

Another possibility would be the same but less powerful. The masks do not disappear and when removed the two individual personas return, though both retain the memories of the new mind's experiences while blended. Whether the individuals would want to return to the joined state is debateable, and indeed the mind made might be subtly different another time, even with the same two people, as their experiences in the interim would change the gestalt.

EDIT (Added clarification): Anything that an individual body could do the joined mind could do just as well, including any skills either body had. If a body was a martial artist then the melded individual would know all about that and that body could still do martial arts just as well. The other body would likely not have the muscle memory and physical responses to be good at it, but it could still work. Plus with his knowledge training that new body would be quicker than usual in such physical skills.

Doing something with a body would be easy. The new persona would feel perfectly at home with one body running, the other sitting down at dinner. It would feel perfectly natural and straight forward. However it is ONE mind, and trying to concentrate on which body was doing what might be tricky. Something that used reactions would likely work right, but if he had to think about it he might use the wrong body to do something. For example, if a drink was in front of one body he'd likely not try to use his other set or arms to try and reach for it. The hand eye coordination would be reflexive enough to get it right. If one body was writing one thing and another was writing something else however the conscious thought of what was being written could get confused. Imagine being in two classes at once and writing history notes in Maths and vica versa. Talking might be the same, not sure which mouth to use in a situation.

You have the following choices:

*Noteb*
1. Further ideas.

*Noteb*
2. Further ideas

*Noteb*
3. Further ideas

*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Gimlet (UN: gimlet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Seuzz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1510047-The-Book-of-Masks/cid/1415027-Connective-Masks