*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1510047-The-Book-of-Masks/cid/2161029-The-Not-Quite-Idyllic-Life-of-Cameron-Huber
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Fantasy · #1510047
A mysterious book allows you to disguise yourself as anyone.
This choice: Ask to change back to yourself  •  Go Back...
Chapter #9

The Not Quite Idyllic Life of Cameron Huber

    by: rugal b.
Cameron's own mind is urging you to not chicken out and to put these assholes in their place. You yourself, however, are doing everything you can to put that voice in its place because you're not a fighter and while Cameron Huber is tall and strong neither is he. His strength is still enough that you could probably take any one of those assholes one on one but you know if they want to throw down they're not going to do it in a "chivalrous" manner and even someone like Gordon Black--much less Cameron Huber--would have trouble taking on Douglas, Carstairs and the Hall brothers at one time.

You feel a bit of a pick-me-up at lunch when you see Anne and give her a long, deep kiss. "Guess you really did have a lot saved up there," she giggles.

"That's only half of it," you smile which causes her to giggle even more.

Clasping her hand in your own the two of you head into the cafeteria and you take stock of her out of the corner of your eye. Anne is tall, close to six foot if not right at it, and well put together; nice sized breasts and wide hips you note. Her face is smattered with light freckles and her hooded green eyes and curly red hair give her a bit of a vivacious, mischievous look. But it's her personality that Cameron loves. Anne could gain fifty pounds overnight and Cameron would feel the same. You take the opportunity to give her a small peck on the cheek and once more she giggles and with a sigh rests her head on your shoulder as the two of you get your lunch.

Due to the fact that most of the football team doesn't see eye to eye, to put it lightly, Cameron tends to sit with Anne's friends although the Venn diagrams between Cameron's interests and theirs don't much intersect so for the most part he remains quiet which actually suits you just fine. You don't pay too much attention to the conversation, something about Brent Pruitt's uncle or whatever, and as the bell for lunch finishes you and Anne wave goodbye though she jabs you in the side once you're out of sight.

"Ow," you cry, "What's that for?"

"You didn't have to be so quiet."

"Well it's not like I talk much anyway," you reply.

Her face scrunches up, "I know but you were so morose I guess. Kind of standoffish."

"Yeah I know, sorry," you state and look down, "It's just Dalton and his buddies. Scott and Sean stop fighting so it's like they decided to be even worse. Coach won't let me kick them off either." You grunt in frustration, "It's not fair. He gives Black free reign over the basketball team but won't let me get rid of the guys who are dragging the entire team down."

Anne looks up at you, a soft expression on her face. "Oh Cameron," she states in an even softer voice, "Don't let it get to you and don't get in any fights. Just let things slide and I'm sure Coach Porter will see things your way after a few days."

"Hopefully," is all you can mutter out before pulling her in close to you, "So am I gonna see you tonight?"

"No can do," Anne shakes her head, "I'm getting together with Danielle, Deanna and Brent to do some studying for a test Motague's got us doing." She notices your face fall a bit so she gives you a quick peck and a warm smile, "Maybe I can make it up to you after school tomorrow though."

With that you watch her leave with a dopey grin on your face. Is she finally going to let you... Anne and Cameron have fooled around. He's even gotten blow jobs from her but they haven't gone all the way. Well that'd be one way to relieve stress.

* * * * *


"So how are things?" Sean asks when you meet him at the elementary school later in the evening. "You enjoying Anne?"

"Not as much as I'd like to," you grumble, "And you should know damn well how things are going. I'm sick of Dalton and his boys' shit. It's going to come to blows at some point and I'd rather avoid it all if at all possible."

"So just let it pass," Sean shrugs.

"That's what Anne said, too," you grumble, "But you know as well as I do that they're not going to drop it." You pause to see if he says anything but you get nothing so you add, "But maybe I do wanna drop it."

Sean raises an eyebrow. "Drop it how?" he asks.

"By dropping Cameron," you reply with a hint of despair, "Dropping back down to my old life."

Sean gives you a queer look, "Is that what you really want, Will? To go back to your old life and be a target of assholes like the Molester again?"

You fold your arms and look down but not at anything in particular, "Maybe not," you say, "But I know I don't want to be Cameron and deal with those assholes anymore."

"But Cameron can take care of them," he states with a confident, almost demanding tone, "That's kind of what I want to use these for, you know? Put the jackasses like Dalton or the Molester in their place. Maybe bring in some guys like James or Tilley. Maybe even someone like Jenny. Put us all in a position to be higher up than we are and stick it to the bullies."

"Add in more people?" you ask in astonishment and Sean nods. You just grumble however, "I really don't think that's a good idea."

"Well, I don't want to do it without your approval," he says.

"We'll worry about it later, then," you respond, "But I still want out of Cameron."

"You're not gonna drop it, are you?" Sean asks and you nod an affirmative. With that Sean makes a motion to you, "Alright out of the mask then."

You do as requested and black out as you remove the mask. You wake up after an indeterminate amount of time and are disappointed when you see the same arms you've had for the last day. "What the fuck?!"

"Relax Will," Sean states, "I fixed up the mask so that you'll be able to grab someone else." He notices you eye him queerly, "I'm not gonna give you the nuts and blots but all I'll say is put Cameron's mask on whoever you replace and they'll listen to you. That way you can take them and Cameron doesn't have to disappear."

With that he hands you another mask, band and what you'll need to seal it and combine it all together. He says to contact him tomorrow once you've performed the switch and that to make it easier he'll be out of a mask and going to school as Caleb.

* * * * *


You trudge through your first two classes and a few times you pass by Dalton or Carstairs who intentionally bump your shoulder which only serves to irritate you more. You catch no sight of Anne at all during the morning which adds a growing anxiousness and restlessness to your mood. By the time your third period class, Mr. Cash's chemistry's class, you can barely contain yourself. Cash is a bit of a hard ass anyway so you do something Cameron doesn't do all too often and decide to cut class. Instead you head over to G-wing where the arts classes are and step inside Ms. Willett's class.

There you see Ms. Willett and Anne both strumming acoustic guitars with Ms. Willett singing and Anne backing her up. Neither notice your presence so that once they finish they're both surprised when you give a very genuine clap.

"Cameron!" Anne exclaims when she sees you and after setting her guitar down she practically leaps into your arms and gives you a giant kiss. "What are you doing here?" she asks once she's drawn away.

"I'm still stewing over yesterday and Dalton and Carstairs decided to try and alpha male me in the halls so I figured..." you shrug.

"It's not a good idea to cut, Cameron," Ms. Willett replies wryly and you smile back.

"But you're not going to mention anything to Cash, right?" you ask.

Ms. Willett makes a face, "Eugh, no. Mike's an ass so I think I can overlook this."

It's a little song and dance Cameron and Ms. Willett do the times he does decide to cut Cash's class. Third period is Anne's study hall and Ms. Willett's free period so Anne usually hangs out with her to talk music or practice things other than her flute.

"So is that something you came up with, Anne?" you ask her.

Anne shakes her head, "No, it's Jen's but it's just... it's a lovely song so I had to join in." Due to how often she's around, Anne tends to refer to Ms. Willett by her first name and definitely looks up to her as a mentor. "Anyway, I'm gonna put this guitar back. She's got something else that requires a bit of a trumpet so I'm gonna get that if you want to hang around and watch."

"Wouldn't dream of missing it," you state with a smile as she heads to the other side of the room.

Anne really is a sweet, gentle girl and her bright disposition lifts your spirits in the way her looks raise other things. And you enjoy hearing the passion she shares for music since it's not just the flute but other instruments she plays and takes whatever music classes she can. You've got your gym bag with you and the mask in it and you're struck by the thought of why not use the mask to grab Anne? It'd probably be a more relaxing existence than Cameron's.

But part of you feels that'd be wrong because she just seems so... pure. But you look at Ms. Willett who's busy tuning her guitar. Ms. Willett's one of the younger teachers, in the latter half of her twenties if Cameron remembers right, and definitely on the cute side. With her dark brown hair pushed back by a tied up bandana, striking blue eyes and just the traces of a half-sleeve tattoo peeking out under the sleeve of her shirt she gives off the artsy indie chick vibe which is appropriate given that she regularly does performances at coffee shops and other venues around town.

And that's an idea. Caleb wanted to help deal with the bullies so what better position to do it in than from a teacher; especially a younger one that's quite popular with the student body?

You have the following choices:

1. Use the mask on Anne

*Noteb*
2. Use the mask on Ms. Willett

*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 rugal b. (UN: rugal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Seuzz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1510047-The-Book-of-Masks/cid/2161029-The-Not-Quite-Idyllic-Life-of-Cameron-Huber