*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. Noble blood
  2. Tryzantium Wizards
  3. Humanity
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1860225-Morphing-and-Magic/cid/2273693-Noble-blood
by Yote
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Erotica · #1860225
Transformation in a world of wizardcraft and witchery
This choice: Noble blood  •  Go Back...
Chapter #9

Noble blood

    by: Yote
An interesting trait often found among the high nobility and old Houses of Tryzantium (and a number of other human, feudal nations) is the so-called 'blue blood' that runs though their veins, said to bestow a whole host of traits ranging from fine manners to intelligence, but most importantly the divine right-to-rule over the so-called red-blooded, peasant classes. As an inheritable trait, it has been intentionally and extensively cultivated by royal families for thousands of years through selective intermarriage within royal lines, and the cutting out of inheritance of titles to those waywards who debase their bloodline via marriage with the lower classes.

Acquiring and distilling this noble trait into ones bloodline takes generations yet can be greatly diluted within even a single generation, thus most nobles will risk a marriage to a lower class only if the benefits greatly outweigh the costs, such as if the partner is vastly wealthy or (in the most rare and scandalous cases) where the two are in so-called "love". Many wealthy merchant families have bankrupted themselves attempting to obtain noble marriage partners for, while titles may be bought or bestowed for the right price, only the blood secures the family's authority for generations to come.

The term 'blue blood' is a misnomer - even the king himself does not actually bleed sky-blue humors. Even at its most potent among the most inbred highborn families, it is no more than a mild blue tinge that colours the blood a shade similar to tyrian purple, and determining the presence let alone the level of blue-bloodedness is often a task requiring skilled hematologists . Also important to note is that every investigation undertaken by the Colleges so far has demonstrated that the trait offers no more discernible, practical benefit than, for example, having green eyes or big ears. Even still, it is revered by the poor, highly sought after by arcanists for use as spell-components and many of the most powerful royal heirlooms are keyed to only be wielded by somebody with blue blood.

A number of treatments are capable of masking or faking the trait. A tonic of certain metals will grant the appearance of blue blood, though it must be taken regularly and carefully, as the ingredients are all highly toxic. A number of elixirs will also eradicate the trait, some even permanently. In addition, a squalid lifestyle - malnutrition, base living conditions and hard, outdoor labour - will cause the trait to dwindle rapidly until it becomes that of an everyday serf, for reasons not yet understood.

As an addendum and minor curiousity, the reverse is true for the strange humans Versiland, who have naturally occurring 'blue blood' and red-blooded royalty.

You have the following choices:

1. Other facts about Tryzantium

2. Other facts about the world

Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Yote (UN: yote at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Yote has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1860225-Morphing-and-Magic/cid/2273693-Noble-blood