*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2027122-GoT-Interactive-Story-Competition/cid/1988063-Send-a-scout-to-check
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Community · #2027122
When you're ar the brink of war, what choices do you make? Which road do you take?
This choice: Send a scout to check  •  Go Back...
Chapter #5

Send a scout to check

    by: blue jellybaby
The longer he waited the more his unease grew. His men were restless, edging backwards. The fortress was just that. Four walls of solid grey brick that reached up high into the early morning sky. Yet as Aris stared at it, he knew there were chinks in the armour. Here and there the greying stone was crumbling, a sad weathering of beautiful fortress. One of the windows on the lower floors was wide enough to squeeze a small man through should they need and the gate barring their entry was resting on rusted hinges. Yes, if this plan didn't work there would be others.

"Higlon," he called to his fastest man. Higlon appeared from under the darkness of leaves, his long hair dark, hanging down to his chest.

"Yes, Aris?"

"See that smoke over there?" He nodded his head towards the rising plume of smoke. It was still faint in the morning but still not a part of their plan. Perhaps old Jaren was signalling him. Perhaps there had been a change.

"Yes, sir."

"Go find out what is going on."

Without another word, Higlon took off into the woods, skirting around the outside of the fortress, his figure becoming a mere shadow in amongst the trees.

"What do you think it is?" another man asked, a quiver audible in his voice.

"I'm sure it's naught to worry about. But we must wait here for Jaren's signal."

The man simply nodded.

It seemed that they waited there in the darkness and shadow, eyes peeking between the trees and staring at the fortress and the smoke beyond it. Finally, Higlon returned, out of breath.

"What of it, Higlon?" Aris asked.


word count: 279

You have the following choices:

*Noteb*
1. "A simple bush fire," Higlon answered.

*Noteb*
2. "They are under attack," Higlon panted.

3. "The forest people have come."

*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 blue jellybaby (UN: joanne4eva at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Gaby ~ Way behind! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2027122-GoT-Interactive-Story-Competition/cid/1988063-Send-a-scout-to-check