*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2253800-Jurassic-World-Expansions/cid/3096342-Science-wonders-never-cease-to-amaze
Rated: GC · Interactive · Animal · #2253800
Ever dreamed of fattened raptors? Or of Giantesses Vs T-Rexes? Here you can :)
This choice: The wonders of Science...  •  Go Back...
Chapter #3

Science wonders never cease to amaze...

    by: E-Brony
Dr. Wu considered himself a brilliant scientist, one who had made out of genetic engineering his own realm. He truly believed to know everything and to be able to solve any issues that would have appeared within the DNA codes of his creatures.

Yet, the current discovery left him somewhat baffled.

He had been toying, along with one of his lab assistants, on a particular plant of the late cretaceous, since they were having some issues in having it live in the current age. They had no problem in creating it and maintaining it alive while in the lab...but as soon as they moved it into the 'wild', the plant would die in a matter of days.

It wasn't really an issue for the park. The plant in itself was only ornamental but, it irked him having something that He couldn't solve. And so, he and his assistant worked and toiled day and night after the plant, verifying its DNA structure, calculating every process and checking back their own steps up to when they had the idea of adding said plant to the park. It seemed like a useless battle.

Between his, and his assistant's, efforts they still lacked the knowledge for which that plant would die as soon as it was out of the balanced ecosystem within the labs. Growing nervous about this failure, in his eyes, Henry Wu started to experiment with any combination he could think of just to get this plant to live outside of their lab. Even if he had to add different species of genomes within the DNA structure of the original plant, even as he replaced each single molecule with that of different plants and animals into the mix. He was literally losing his mind over a single, minuscule plant.

Yet, as it often happens, after countless tests and prototypes, one finally made it through. Elated, the doctor admired his handwork, having finally managed to create a test subject which seemed to be able to live outside of the lab. His assistant was overjoyed and impressed by Henry's achievement and had spent several days reminding his boss about that success.
Yet, something left Dr. Wu perplexed.

The original plant was a common looking bush, whose leaves were mostly toxic to dinosaur consumption, although it released a relaxing odor to its surroundings. The prototype plant he had managed to create, although still creating the alluring smell, it also produced some strange violet berries that it shouldn't have created.

This puzzled Wu.

Yet, after countless analysis, the berries themselves didn't seem to be toxic nor for dinos, nor human. He had made sure of testing several times, checking and re-checking every molecule, every filament of DNA just to be sure that there was no danger. And he was certain of it. The berries in themselves were safe to be consumed.

Yet, without a test subject to try them, he couldn't be sure if something in either the dinosaur structure, or the human's, could create some kind of dangerous reaction. Although his theoretical results were clear on the edibility of said berries, only through living experimentation could he be one hundred percent sure of it. For a while he toyed with the idea of testing them on himself, so that he could directly close this issue without the support of anyone else, such was his trust in his calculations. But in the end, he decided to search for someone that could have been willing to try them.

So that Henry could keep observing from the outside, without the threat of leaving the impartiality he had as examiner.
But to whom he could ask for such an experiment? Especially since it would be unauthorized testing. Who could he trust within his lab or even the park itself?

Who would have accepted to cooperate without suing him, in case something went wrong?

The answer, he knew it only too well.

Nobody.

Not even his lab assistant could be trustworthy enough, seeing as each was eager to grow into the same position he had within Jurassic world.

No, if he wanted to test it, he had to do it on someone who wouldn't expect it, someone blissfully ignorant of being part of a test. And yet this did not make things any easier for the growingly anxious scientist. As the need to have further proof of the edible properties of the berries grew within him, he tried to restrict the list to those he could use as test subjects without their consent.

Wu was fairly certain that anybody exposed to the plant would have tried said berries on his own, conscious of how alluring the smell of the plant was. Yet, he had to find the perfect test subject.

He had thought of Owen, the dinosaur trainer. He was a most excellent choice seeing as he was in a completely different field of work, so Henry could manage to hide in the shadows as he would observe any reaction. But the guy was often on the move, often dealing with dinosaurs and so exposed to too many variables, should something go wrong.

Another test subject could have been Claire Dearing, as she was mostly in her office, but she was also often in meetings with Masrani... when not in meetings with other Ingen managers. She was way too high profile to be used, although as it was for Owen, she was in a different department and so Henry wouldn't be accounted for if anything went wrong.

Otherwise he could use his own secretary, which was a figure that Masrani had forced him to hire, a bubble headed blondie who knew next to nothing of Henry's job.

Or he could pass it onto his very own lab assistant, using him without telling him the truth.

Yet both figures were too close to him and if something would arise later on, he would have a hard time to explain his extrainety to the situation.

As he thought about who was going to be his test subject, the how was already solved. Henry would just have to leave said plant in their office ( or some leaves and berries in Owen's jacket) and they would have ingested the berries by themselves.

Yet he was still missing a target.

In the end he decided for...

*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 E-Brony (UN: sick-o-brony at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
E-Brony has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2253800-Jurassic-World-Expansions/cid/3096342-Science-wonders-never-cease-to-amaze