*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1216566-Foundations-of-Technology-in-Education
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Article · Other · #1216566
Summary of the social and historical foundations of technology in education.
The Foundations of Technology in Education

 
Abstract

 
This paper summarizes the social, historical, and technological foundations of technology in education. The role of education is to transmit culture to the next generation and to prepare the students to function in the world in which they live. The challenge for educators is to prepare the students for a rapidly changing world, which is being made smaller through ever more accessible information technology. Finally, the paper discusses how technological advances might also assist the aging brain. Our society values youth and independence, and researchers are delving into methods to prevent memory loss.
 
The Social, Historical, and Educational Foundations of Technology in Education

 
         To begin the discussion of technology in education, it is interesting to note the definitions of “educate” found in a household dictionary from the 1970’s, The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, and the expanded definition from the current online version of the same dictionary. The former defines “educate” as “to provide with and develop knowledge, training, or skill, esp. through formal schooling” (Davies, Peter et al. 1973). The entry in the online version has five definitions, including “to develop the innate capacities of, especially by schooling or instruction” and “to stimulate or develop the mental or moral growth of” (Pickett, Joseph P. et al. 2000). While this comparison is not in itself profound evidence of educational change over the past thirty years, it does point to how access to information in a typical household has changed. The definition in the household dictionary of the 1970’s is brief compared to the online dictionary, which gives more dimensions to the definition. The amount of information readily available to individuals today points to one of the changes in our culture that are constantly shaping education.
         The roles of education include the transmitting of culture to the next generation, finishing the process of socialization, and assigning each person to his or her proper place in the society (Friesen, John W. 1990). In many parts of the world, schools as they are known today developed in the 19th century. The role of the school was to produce a worker who could function in the “industrial machine,” participate in government, and understand information from the available media (Kerr, Stephen T. 2005).
         In many ways, the roles described by Kerr continue to be the roles of schools today. Rather than an industrial machine, the worker must be able to function in the today’s global economy. There have been vast changes in the technologies available to achieve these goals of education. As Jane Johnsen (2002) and Paul Saettler (1998) pointed out, technology is a process, not a product. They made the distinction between the appliances or media and the instructional processes that are used to deliver education. “In every age, one can find an instructional technique or a set of procedures intended to implement a particular culture” (Saettler, Paul 1998, p. 51)
         One of the instructional techniques that emerged at the end of the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th century was the use of visuals, which is referred to as the Visual Education Movement (Saettler, Paul 1998). As new media, such as stenographs, lanterns slides, and films became available, they were adopted by educators in order to make education more effective. These techniques were further solidified as teaching courses, professional journals, and public school administration developed. In the 1930’s and 1940’s, departments of visual instruction appeared in educational institutions. As new media became available, this evolved into audiovisual instruction. According to Bernard and Lundren-Caryrol (1991), the years from 1968 to 1989 marked the transition from the audiovisual technology to computerized multimedia. Television and mass communication theory were key in the audiovisual movement. Educational television and film came to the forefront. The audiovisual movement ended in approximately 1974. As interest in television as an educational tool declined, it became clear that “no single educational medium represents a panacea” (Bernard & Lundgren-Caryol 1991, p. 161).
         The next phase in educational technology was ushered in by micro-computers as they became less expensive and more accessible to schools. “By the late seventies, personal computers were everywhere . . . no longer a luxury, but now a necessity for many schools and universities (Molnar, Andrew R. 1997).
 
The Use of Technology in Today’s Schools

 
         Molnar (1997) pointed out that four factors have come together to influence the direction of education today: the global economy, the information explosion, the cognitive approach to teaching, and new educational demands, such as competing for students’ attention in the information age. These factors present challenges for the use of technology in schools today.
         One of the biggest challenges facing education is preparing the students to work in a global economy. Bybee and Starkweather (2006, p. 31) pointed out the important role that technology has in education today and that “ . . . external forces have heightened the need for technology educators to respond constructively to the contemporary challenges.”
         Another challenge for educators is competing for students’ attention when they are accustomed to fast-paced gaming, films, television, and Internet surfing. Carstens and Beck (2005) discussed the consequences of children playing video games. They claimed that playing games during the formative years when children’s neural pathways are maturing can cause permanent changes in the way children are “hard wired.” Furthermore, they suggested that gaming influences children’s belief systems on matters such as competition, winning, and relating to other people. Carstens (2006) explained the Sesame Street Syndrome, which was coined by Eda LaShan in 1972. Students who have grown up in the world of fast-paced television and Internet surfing expect that learning is entertaining. Educators face these challenges while engaging students in appropriate content using effective technology.
 
Technology and Society: Games and the Aging Brain

 
         I chose the topic of Games and the Aging Brains from Dave Moursand’s book Introduction to Using Games in Education: A Guide for Teachers and Parents. This topic is of interest to me because my grandfather has gradually disappeared into the grasp of Alzheimer’s during the past few years.
         Moursand (2006) pointed out that during the past twenty years, brain research indicates that certain leisure activities such as crossword puzzles, reading, and even video games can lower the risk of dementia. Studies show that intergenerational contact helps reduce the effects of aging on the brain. A project at George Washington University had relatives create video biographies for Alzheimer’s patients. The videos contained photos and were narrated by relatives. This is similar to a project that I did with my family. We scanned important photos from the grandparents’ photo albums. We made a video that began with their childhoods and continued to the present. My grandfather enjoys watching the video, and he recalls some of the people and scenes.
         The site braincasts.com contains several brain training podcasts. The introductory podcast claims that from the age of 25, the brain becomes smaller. According to Japanese research brain training exercise can help increase the size of the brain (Sebastien, Paul 2007). It is suggested that the podcasts be downloaded for listening while commuting or exercising. Research from the organization Advanced Cognitive Training for Independent and Vital Elderly shows that mental workouts improve performance (Shapiro 2007). They also indicated that it is better to start early.
 
Conclusion

 
         The role of the schools is to convey culture to the next generation and to prepare students for the world in which they live. The world is changing rapidly and becoming smaller. The global economy makes new demands on workers. Teachers must compete for the students’ attention with fast-moving popular culture. The key is to compete with popular culture without being overrun by it. Rather than using technology tools as an end, technology in the classroom must be carefully planned and implemented to engage students and promote higher order thinking. As our society ages due to advances of medical technology, researchers also work to prevent memory loss through various technological processes, such as training the aging brain.
         In order to meet the challenges of today’s schools, teachers must be properly trained. Students today have much more technological competence than the students of the past, and teachers need to alter their teaching styles somewhat in order to meet this change. In addition to resources, it requires planning at the district or school level. Teachers need professional development and ongoing support. This professional development should be more than just learning how to use the tools, but also how to properly implement technology with the curriculum in a meaningful and effective way.
 
References

Bernard, R. M., & Lundregn-Cayrol, K. (1991). Educational technology in transition: A study of the years 1968-1989. Canadian Journal of Educational Communication, 20(3), 153. Retrieved from EBSCOhost February 3, 2007.
 
Bybee, R. W., & Starkweather, K. N. (2006). The twenty-first century workforce: A contemporary challenge for technology education. The Technology Teacher, 65(8), 27-32. Retrieved from EBSCOhost February 9, 2007.
 
Carstens, A., & Beck, J. (2005). Get ready for the gamer generation. TechTrends, 49(3), 22-25. Retrieved from EBSCOhost February 3, 2007.
 
Davies, P. (Ed.). (1973). The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. New York, N.Y.: Dell Publishing Co., Inc.
 
Friesen, J. W., & Boberg, A. L. (1990). Introduction to teaching: A socio-cultural approach. Dubuque, Iowa: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company.
 
Johnsen, J. B., & Taylor, W. D. (2002). The reduction of teacher and student autonomy: An essay on technology and the classrooms. Encounter, 15(1), 11. Retrieved from EBSOhost February 3, 2007.
 
Kerr, S. T. (2005). Why we all want it to work: Towards a culturally based model for technology and educational change. British Journal of Educational Technology, 36(6), 1005-1016. Retrieved from EBSCOhost February 3, 2007.
 
Molnar, A. R. (1997). Computers in education: A brief history. T H E Journal, 24(11), 63.
 
Moursand, D. (2006). Introduction to using games in education: A guide for teachers and parents. [Electronic version].
 
Pickett, Joseph P. et al. (2000). The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. [Electronic version].Retrieved February 9, 2007,
 
Saettler, P. (1998). Antecedents, origins, and theoretical evolution of AECT. TechTrends, 43(1), 51. Retrieved from EBSCOhost on October 17, 2006.
 
Sebastien, P. (2007). Brain ready: Fight the effects that aging has had on your brain & body. Retrieved February 10, 2007http://www.brainready.com/braincasts
 
Shapiro, J. (2007). For a healthy brain in old age, start early. Retrieved February 9, 2007. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6719135



© Copyright 2007 MATeacher (teacher4 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1216566-Foundations-of-Technology-in-Education