*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1238518-The-Birtday-Present
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by AZ
Rated: · Short Story · Other · #1238518
... the reminiscence of a wonderful birthday
I just celebrated my 6th birthday last July. That time in summer I stayed with my whole family in Borkum island, the largest of the seven East-Frisian islands in the southern North Sea. We enjoyed the warm weather. Every morning we swam in the cool water and closely watched the waves hit. The changing tide is a fascinating phenomenon, isn’t it? Anyway I loved to walk bare footed through the cold and wet sandy ground when the air smelled fresh and Seagulls flew across the heads of all the beach goers.

Near the beach was our hotel named Villa Caterina which was a huge white shining building. It looked very tidy. I could still remember my room. It was a light coloured and attractive decorated room. Because of its size, it was no problem for me to share it with my younger brothers Oliver and Tim. Most of the time we had great fun together and especialy during nights when we could not sleep. We thrilled then ourselves with some frightening stories, did jokes or played various games until we felt tired and the sandman brought us a dream.

An unusual noise woke me up. It was early in the morning. I opened my eyes and was surprised to look at dozens various packages. The birthday presents were lying on the bedside table and my parents together with Tim and Oliver stood next to them. “Happy Birthday to you! Happy birthday tooo you! Happy Birthday Briiiget! Happy Birthday to youu!”, they sang and I clapped my hands deliriously with joy. “Thank you soo much!” I replied and could not stop smiling. Even though I could not wait any longer to open my presents.

Mummy gave me a beautiful dress. It dropped casually over my knees and was made out of very soft material with pink strips on white background. Furthermore I got little dolls. They had the figure of horses. When I was young I loved horses. I always portrayed them. And sometimes when I did so during the break at school, other interested girls surrounded me. But even more exciting was the next gift. It was an extra big package filled with few smaller boxes and in the last one I found a deep blue stuffed sea lion.

“How sweet!” I said. Oliver looked closely at my face and asked: “Ey Bridget what could the sea lion maybe represent? As for a clue, what do you wish the most since we’re here?” His question sounded as bold as brass. “Hmm you know the answer!” I laughed happily. “Of course I want to cross the ocean with this gigantic red ship which we saw at the harbour yesterday!”

Next I watched my dad, who step by step came nearer to my bed and mysteriously took out something from his right trouser pocket. Suddenly I saw a certain paper in his hands. He handed it to me. Because at that time my reading skills were still underdeveloped, I concentrated alternatively on the picture which decorated the small card.

“Oh yes! Ohh great! that’s the ship I meant. You’ ve booked something?” I asked tensely. “Yes Briget. This morning we are going to board the so called Borkum Fireship for a couple of hours. The captain promised that it would be a great adventure! But we’ve to hurry up because its departure is at 10 o’clock.” Mum said and kissed my cheeks.

We arrived at the harbour on time. It was a stormy and cold weather. The clouds were grey and seemed very massive. We weared the warmest clothes, we could found in our suitcases namely sneakers, jeans, sweater, rain coat and for the girls a headband. Only the colours distinguished us from each other.
I could still remember this characteristic scent on board. The smell of fresh fish and salty water surrounded us. The waves rammed wildly against the ship walls. They created loud noises and made me feel seasick. My mum and I suffered the most under these conditions. It lasted long until we acclimated to the swinging of the ship, but right then we enjoyed the tour a lot.

It was a spectacular feeling to perceive the great power of nature as well as to hear the roaring of the sea. I felt a bit unsafe but knew I was just being obsessed. And there was my family by my side, which made me feel secured enough. Yes I loved the experience and the special moment viewing the horizon in its endless vastness.

We navigated along the sandbank in the sheltered Borkum Bay, where the seals were protected from the visitors. When I watched the animals, I suddenly remembered my little stuffed one. And as if by a miracle, the storm ended few minutes later. The ocean calmed down and the sun broke out of the dark sky.

Another wonderful highlight of the trip was being able to witness the crabs fishing. Although the event made me more against the appetite to taste the captured delicacy. It was again an extraordinary experience making my birthday unforgettable.

15 years have passed since that birthday and I still remember it clearly. Should not every birthday be celebrated in such cherishable moments?



© Copyright 2007 AZ (trishjohnson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1238518-The-Birtday-Present