*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1247832-From-The-Ashes
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Supernatural · #1247832
Two teens fall in love through difficult obsticles
Heidi Shultz stood back at a distance from the once upscale manison which belonged to her aunt and uncle.The day was late and with it the fading sun had begun elongating once faintly hidden shadows from out of their hidding spots from the enormous old oak tree in the front yard.She sighed in defeat,realising night was falling too fast to do any exploring.

New or not,Heidi thought with mild irritation.It would've been nice to have some time to check out this place they call a town so I'd have an idea of what to expect when school draws near.Habitually curious,she moved her hazel eyes into neighbouring yards.

The high class feel sank strong within her,even in the limited amount of sunlight left there was without a doubt an appeal to most of these homes.Geometric gardens,white painted fencing and countless other meticulous settings to them seemed to mock the ramshackled or near to it old home Heidi was finding herself forced into.Worse,it was against her will.

A wave of still unaccustomed bitterness swept over the sixteen-year-old as she turned to walk back inside but before she could the street lights illuminated and the brim of the one nearest her only missed her foot by an inch.That,however,wasn't what stopped her from continuing on.It was a figure stepping quite casually into the light and pausing to see her.

The figure was evidently male and somewhat bigger then she was.Heidi felt a slight urge to walk away but found herself keeping eye contact with the person.Nervousness edged her nerves for a moment and she reached back as if to grasp an object;only feeling wind.

Dark faces.That was once thing Heidi hated more then even having to move here in the first place away from all her familiar friends and surroundings.Unamed persons from her past trying to munipulate her life.Though as they stood there longer and the stranger in no manner whatsoever tried to take a step towards her,Heidi felt herself carefully easing up.

"Hello there."She found her voice,polite but a little too quiet."Do you need someone?"

Heidi's timid offer hung like the still night air,not quite sure of what it would turn.It felt like a few minutes had passed before the person shifted from where he stood and then once he did,didn't hesistate to walk forward to close a little more distance between them both.

In the bright light,she made out the face of a young man no older then eighteen.She could not make out his features completely but she could instinctively tell he was attractive with a rich head full of brown-to-black hair and eyes that beamed a calming,confident cobalt.

"No,"Heidi thought she heard him say casually,a small smile playing on his face."I'm just passing through here.I've got a long walk ahead of me,as I'm sure you do as well.Right?"

His crisp,friendly voice made her stand a little straighter."I,um,live here."she negated him.

The young man's gaze rose the highth of what was left to see of the mainson and sighed a wistful sigh.There was a faraway look about them and for a moment Heidi assumed he'd all but forgotten her presence.As if to contradict her thoughts,he returned his look to her.

"Welcome to the neighbourhood."he told her with disappointment aligned in his words and before Heidi could respond,he had left her.His personality changing as quick as tide.

How strange.She thought awkwardly and turned around to enter her temporary home.

"Heidi Ellen."Aunt Sarah accousted her as she passed through the kitchen."Is that you?"

"Yeah,it's me.I'm going up to my room to study for a little while.Hey,"Heidi paused from mounting the first step of the stairs."Has anyone called for me?A friend of mine possibly."

Sarah frowned slightly from behind the large tilled counter."No,I'm afraid not dear.You know we talked about it might being best if you made new friends while you stay here."

"There aren't any my age."she commented coolly,not in the mood for another arguement as she bypassed her aunt to snatch up an apple and started trotting up stairs."And even if they were I'd have to meet them in the right places and there really isn't any in this town."

"If you gave it a chance..."Her voice followed up after her but her persuasive attempt to get her niece to communicate was awnsered only by the loud squeak of old door hinges.

Heidi took a small bite from the pale green apple and plopped herself down on the quilt covered bed,her mind swimming with memories of home and of her friends.What would they be doing right now?Ashley was out with Tim of course but then what about Adrian?

She turned her head in the direction of the glossy black razer that lay about an inch or so from her at the most.Beyond grateful that her aunt and uncle had switched to her service as to allow her to keep her phone,Heidi picked it up and pushed the speed dial in haste.

"Come on,"she breathed in anticpation with the low ring and pause."Adrian,It's me.Hei-"

"Hei!"His bright voice reached her ear,the nickname he had for her ringng out grandly.

"Yes!"Heidi squealed in happiness."Hey Adri.Listen,I have a ton to talk with you about."

"And just in cause you like the sound of my voice,I'll say it again.Hi to all of you in good ol' Chicago!The Adrianater isn't here at this current moment and time.Leave a message."

"Since when does he use his awnsering machine."She muttered and tossed the phone to the foot of her bed,grabbing for a pillow to break her fall as she face planted with drama.

Know she was acting silly,Heidi got up again and crawled across the bed to slip into her pajamas.Then,she began recalling little things,her mother's lilting laugh over the seemingly most uninmportant things,her unusual games for Heidi as a child even though the both of them had enough inheritance money from Heidi's nameless father to entertain themselves.

That was one thing that never ceased to leave her in wonder,all she knew about her dad was that he and her mother Hannah Louise Shultz had taken off from this remote but for the most part prestigous town called Crystal Bay Arkansas.They both were to become rich but Hannah hadn't inherited her keep yet,so the two lived off of her father's for a bit.

Until,of course,the night when she was three and her father was gunned down at work.It could have broken down anyone,even a young mother of twenty-two in the beginning of the early nineties had trouble keeping herself afloat but they had managed to all the same.

There was something else that bothered Heidi,she knew nothing of her father.For some reason her mother had never brought it up and even when they talked about him on rare occasions it was vague and with an odd sense of guilt that Heidi never knew why she felt but did.So they had co-existed in a lovely little town house in Chicago for fourteen years.

Two years ago her mother had suffered an unexpected stroke and clinging to life for the sum total of two weeks,finally had her heart give out.Hannah had been strong and greatly intelligent but her addictions hadn't helped in the least.With her departure,her offically yet unceremoniously orphaned teenage daugther was put up in foster care with an old friend.

After a year of mourning,Heidi found herself enjoying life again.Going to a new school in her godmother Vanessa's side of town had been hard but Ashley,Jennifer and especially Adrian had made it all the better.Then came the fateful day when Mr. Rydes lost his job and could no longer support a large family.The week before they'd considered adoption.

"We love you,Heidi."Vanessa had smiled endearingly,sweeping her godchild into one of her quick yet meaningful embraces."We finally have saved up enough,isn't it wonderful!"

The white ceiling that rose over Heidi now kept her eyes from appraising stars as they'd been able to for the past year with the skylight that had come from the cleared and large attic given to Heidi.It had indeed been wonderful,because Heidi knew her parents were among those stars and it would always cause a fond smile to cross her rose-colored lips.

Everyone becomes a star or an angel when they leave this world,Heidi thought the words her mother had spoken to her sometimes.No matter what,a person's soul will have a time when what binds them to this earth eventually grants them a release.

"A release,"Heidi whispered to herself as she switched off the small lamp although her digital clock only read seven PM,settling herself down in the dark."Guess that applies to everyone.But when?Is it just all of a sudden or is there time for thinking before they go."

Knowing her questions would remain unawnsered as they normally were,Heidi let herself drift off into a dream-filled sleep.Everything she ever dreamed about checked out except for one thing.The new face of the stranger from the sidewalk was now present,along with his good-natured smile.Heidi felt herself tense up.This was not right,they had barely met.

"Go."Heidi told him in a voice that reverberated."Only people I know are allowed here."

"I want to know you."He said softly but acknowledged her wishes with a small wave and turned to walk away.Although satisfied,Heidi could still feel his wake lingering on strong.

Who is he?Will I see him agian?I don't want to but then,I want to know who he is.

To be continued...

DivineSoul


© Copyright 2007 RejoiceTheRoses (amysmith10 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1247832-From-The-Ashes