*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1398498-Of-Those-Who-Worship-Death
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Rocul
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1398498
There are people who live underground with dark powers, and their leader is slowly dying.
My eyes are beginning to fail me; even a little white glow proves hard for me to see. The darkness is proving difficult to be in, I am old—no longer the youthful vibrant being that I was fifty long years ago. My end is near, I can feel Him beckoning me calling me to eternal rest. I want to rest. I am tired. So tired.


Advhid slowly rose to the toll of heavy bells. She knew that it was time, she cannot stall the tradition any longer. The hall felt empty, her soul was fleeting. Time has withered away her once beautiful face. Death is nearing and soon she will finally be set free of the chains that bound her since birth.

She looks out her room and sees nothing but small white lights flitting about in the dark. There is no morning, there is no sun, and light must be kept to a minimum. For they are those who live in darkness, they are those who hide from pain and grief. She leans forward, letting her silvery white hair flow with the faint zephyrs that managed to pass through the caves. It was cold; it was always cold.

She knew of the fate that would befall those who worshiped Razeeb, the God of Death. She knew of all fates in the world, there was only one, as the ant and the whale share the same destiny. They were all bound to die. She could accept that, their whole livelihood centered on one thing, death. IT is what made them see what life really is a preparation for peace; or for other matters, eternal torment.

Advhid looked beyond her, millions of people living below ground, millions of people hiding from the light. Hiding from prejudice, hiding from wars. It is cowardice that will save man, and yet she knew that her race would risk extinction forever. Their records will disappear, it will be as if they, the Shadow Dwellers, have never existed at all.

At the far south she can see a white bonfire, someone had died. Bliss swept through her, it was fine, a passing moment of grief, yes, it was to be felt, but quickly let go. Of those who live in light, Advhid laughed at them. They would never understand that for a person to truly live he must truly die. Fools they were, the Surface people, afraid to let go, afraid of reality… and yet they throw bombs at each other, wasting away lives. Razeeb was never pleased of their behavior.

“Priestess…” a voice called out to her. Unmoved, Advhid still kept her eyes on the bonfire. “Priestess, your water.”

“Just place it on the table, my dear.” Her voice croaked. She heard no more; her hearing is failing her as well. Her fault, it was her fault. Under her breath she prayed that Razeeb might restore it when He finally takes her. She prayed hard. She prayed that her successor would understand the delay she had dealt him for six years.

She stared up at the large earthen ceiling that protected them all from the outside world. She remembered going there, to the outside. The air was warm, and the sun was bright. She saw many things, most were those she was never meant to see; and that had changed her.

A dark ominous feeling had crawled up her spine. She was being freed; it was almost her time to seat with her predecessors in an eternal realm of darkness and light. No, dread began to flood her, she wasn’t afraid of death it was forbidden to fear the freedom of the soul. It was something else, she had felt the same before at her successor’s fifteenth birthday, and here it was again. The same horrible feeling of terror.

Advhid quickly covered herself in black linen cloaks and rushed outside the temple. Her mind sifted through scattered thoughts, in light hopes of regaining herself. They were quickly becoming a dead race, their blood will soon vanish from the earth. If something were not quickly done, the balance of Life and Death would disappear forever.

The people on the streets gazed at wonder at the sight of their High Priestess running, an evanescent sight leaving nothing but a faint gust. They stood there and let the feeling of dread come upon them; they knew it too.

Advhid came upon the Thousand Steps just in time, her successor was about to leave to the Surface. She saw him with his light silvery hair and dark clothes, he was talking to his colleagues, she could see the sorrow in his eyes. Slowly, Advhid approached him.

He noticed at her, and felt confused. “High Priestess…” he said. His two other colleagues were marked with distress. “High Priestess, you do know that you are not allowed to see me off.” He said calmly.

“I am sure you must have felt it.” She said in a hushed voice. “Reiji, the foretold Imbalance has begun.”

The young man called Reiji closed his eyes. “Yes, High Priestess. I have felt it.”

“Do you know what must be done?”

Reiji looked at the frail figure before him, she was weary and distraught. “No.” he said. “But I will know, High Priestess. I will know.”

Advhid leant towards the young figure and clasped her hands at the side of his head, she drew him close feeling his warmth and strength. “You need strength, my successor.” She whispered to him. “You may be the one who will destroy us all, or the one who keeps everything in balance. You need wisdom that books mere cannot provide. You are headed into the world of Light, my dear, up there, there are many things that will tempt you to do wrong. You must not let that happen, for you must not give in to be human.”

Black fire ran across her fingers, cold flame licked her flesh. She knew she had to do this, to transfer every bit of strength that her frail body possessed into him. The black fire disappeared in a silvery glow, immersing itself in his head. Advhid staggered away, catching her own breath. Exhausted of her deed.

“It would be enough, I had to save a few for my own purposes. We would wait for your return.”

Reiji simply nodded, he felt her strength within him. His two friends looked at both of them, confused, and worried. Reiji forced a weak smile to give them his hope. He held up his hand as a black staff materialized out of darkness. A white light appeared at his side, hovering eerily of that of a guiding spirit. Without another word, he looked up at the endless stairs that lead to the world up above and began his ascent.
© Copyright 2008 Rocul (rocul at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1398498-Of-Those-Who-Worship-Death