*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1575414-Sunny-in-San-Marcos
Rated: · Other · Travel · #1575414
A guide to what to see and do in San Marcos, Texas
Welcome to San Marcos! Home of Texas State University, Aquarena Springs, and the Gateway to the Hill Country of Texas.

People come to San Marcos for the breathtaking San Marcos River; a great site for swimming, tubing, kayaking, fishing, snorkeling, or simply just to lay around and enjoy the natural beauty. Water activities are easy to enjoy almost year round since the San Marcos River maintains a steady year round temperature of 74 degrees.

The river begins here in San Marcos at Aquarena Springs where water bubbles up from underground springs that can be viewed from glass bottomed boats and kayaks. Aquarena Springs is home to many endangered species including the Texas blind salamander and the Texas gambusia. Wetland species can also be viewed as you take a stroll on the floating wetlands boardwalk. The more recently established Texas River Center offers educational exhibits.

San Marcos is also home to Wonderworld, an underground cave unlike no other in that it was formed by an earthquake. While there you can get aboard the train and travel through the wildlife petting park, test your balance in the antigravity house or take in the views 190 feet above ground in the Tejas Observation Tower.

Texas State University, the home of the Bobcats, is another natural beauty of San Marcos with a breathtaking campus of 457 acres surrounded by wetland ponds and giant cypress and pecan trees. Opened in 1903 with 303 students, the school is now boasts an annual enrollment of over 29,000 students, including alumni such as Lyndon Baines Johnson and country superstar George Straight. Old Main towers on the hill welcoming new students and alumni both. New baseball and softball stadiums have been added to inspire the growing sports programs and current additions are being made to Bobcat Stadium for the uncoming football season where to support the increasing fans. Football games are a great take to take the family to enjoy football at its best to the rousing roar of students shouting "eat em up Cats!!".

The square in San Marcos is a great place to view the historic courthouse, the LBJ Museum shop or just grab something to eat at one of the many restaurants. Live music by local talent can also be found after dark at numerous venues around town including the Cheatam Street Warehouse.

Don't forget shopping, the San Marcos outlet mall just south of town has hundreds of stores, many with designer names and great prices year round.

So no matter what your interests, whether you want to relax at the river, explore the underground, or just go shopping, San Marcos is a great place to visit any time of the year.
© Copyright 2009 CHinson (chinson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1575414-Sunny-in-San-Marcos