*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1607191-berlin
by sam
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Other · #1607191
The love of laughter
BERLIN – 28th of May 1945



He was transfixed to the bed he could not move.  All he could do now was pray.  There in the corner of the room was his life jacket.  The only escape, from reality, from incarceration, from the reality some many of his fellow citizens had endured.  There it was the clown’s costume and make up.  Both items which had saved the lives of his brother and 120 other prisoners.  Laughter in the midst of the Second World War was a precious commodity.  Hulgar traded lives for the tears of laughter the 3rd Riche shed.  Hulgar managed to move his foot and then stand.

As he donned the clowns’ attire one last time he was gripped with terror and fear.  Hitler himself was going to execute him.  Hitler insisted he wore the clowns costume one last time.  Hitler could not be wooed by the humour all of his 3rd Riche commanders had been seduced by.

BERLIN - 17 of December 1938

Hulgar stepped back into his office and inhaled deeply.  Then in private he smiled.  He had struck a deal with the 3rd Riche that would net him 60% profit over the next two years.  His dead father’s words came into his mind.  “You are the ultimate negioator”.  “I am Dad” he said aloud.  Slightly embarrassed he focussed back to the present.  There in the corner was his costume for his brother’s fancy dress party to be held that night.  His mind moved onto his brothers “coming out”.  Hulgar was not surprised he always knew.  In a different time he would have been impressed by his honesty and courage.  In this era Hulgar was terrified for his brother.  Hitler men were transporting men of Alfons persuasion to Dachau daily.

At home that evening he put on the clowns costume.  He was still on a high after closing the deal.  He chuckled to himself when he saw his clown’s reflection in the mirror.  The party was in full swing when he arrived.  Alfons coaxed him into doing a party piece in his clown’s costume.  Hulgar was amazed and how relaxed he was performing and at the sound of laughter throughout the room.

Then there was a bolt of light, sound and smell throughout the room.  The 3rd Riche had arrived.  Immediately after the initial thunderous roar a deathly silence enveloped the room.  It became apparent that two people had been shot dead.  Within 3 minutes the room, was damp with fright and anxiety.  The warmth of laughter replaced by silent terror.  All participants were lead at gun point into two trucks.  Dachau the first concentration camp was there new destiny.  One of the captives said “But I am only the waiter!”  Instantly an evil smile from one of the soldiers told him to protest further would take away his last breath.  The captives new there fate was sealed.  Physically they would live out their days in Dachau, mentally they would never recover.

They all read the sign on the gate at Dhaka “ARBEIT MACHT FREI” (WORK EQUALS FREEDOM).  The irony was not wasted on the prisoners.  They lined up brow beaten.  Anything of value was kept by the soldiers.  Replaced by thread bare rags.  Suddenly Hulgar realised he was still in the Clown attire.  Hulgar instinctively knew he had to keep the Clown’s costume.  He summoned up the courage to start performing his new routine for the soldiers.  Initially they were shocked by the audacity of this captive.  But as he continued with the routine they started to laugh.  For five short minutes the demonic soldiers became human again.  Accompanied by a little negotiation Hulgar had the kept biggest weapon of Hulgars war – The clown’s costume.



Soon Hulgar and Alfons adjusted to life in Dachau.  They did their best to keep everyone’s spirits up.  Hulgar worked and perfected his clown’s act.  Even when the prisoners were tried, cold and hungry, Hulgar could still extract a chuckle.  Sometimes the soldiers would look on. 

The prisoner’s governor was Theodore Eike heard and later saw Hulgar’s clown act.  He found it hilarious.  It was spring 1939 and Theodore was organizing a party for his fellow 3rd Riche commanders.  He had organised food and drink.  But what about entertainment?  The radio filled the air with Propaganda.  Good singers were rare and at best melancholy.  Records were banned within the rank of the 3rd Riche.  “How do I entertain them?”  Through the curtains he noted it was twilight and on the horizon was Hulgar in his clown costume.  “He is perfect” said Theodore.

Theodore opted to strike while the iron was hot.  He summoned Hulgar to his front room.  Hulgar marvelled at the warmth and crackling fire in Theodore’s front room.  Theodore informed Hulgar of the impending 3rd Riche party.  Hulgar roared in disgust...”I would sooner die than perform for the 3rd Riche”.  Theodore put the barrel of his gun in Hulgar’s mouth.  Hulgar did not flinch.  As a negioator he knew this wasn’t deadlock.  There was something to be gained.  Mentally he overcame the fear.  Theodore knew that innocent laughter was a precious commodity.  Perhaps it could be bought.  Theodore withdrew the pistol from Hulgar’s mouth.  Still vexed he barked “What do you want then”?  My brother Alfons freedom starting from tomorrow.  Theodore knew he should have killed Hulgar for his arrogance and audacity.  But the prize of laughter was worth it.



Hulgar gave the performance of his life at Theodore’s party.  He noted that the pace of his act needed to slow down.  The audience were savouring every moment.  Hulgar seduced them with jokes, tricks and innocent silliness.  It quickly became apparent that, no drink, drug or even sex could compete with the roar of laughter.  When he was undressing that night he said out loud “My life jacket that brokered my brother’s freedom and many more to come. 



By now the Second World War was in full bloom.  The palaces of the Ayrain Empire were blown apart by bombs.  The need for laughter to escape reality was never greater amongst the 3rd Riche. /

Himmler a friend of Theodore was hosting a party in Austwich.  Hulgar was invited to perform by Theodore.  Again he put the barrel in Hulgar’s mouth.  Once again Hulgar did not flinch.  The performance cost was a mother and her four children’s freedom.  Throughout the war Hulgar performed many times.  He gave 120 prisoners back their freedom.

BERLIN – 25th of May 1945

Theodore summoned Hulgar to his home again.  This time Theodore’s need was critical the end of the war was in sight.  Germany was destined to loose.  Even his prisoners knew it.  Theodore read the telex he had received this evening.  It was from Magda Goebbels.  I have to kill my all my six children this week.  I need to see them smile one last time.  Death is enveloping the bunker in Berlin.  Please send Hulgar the clown it is my final wish.  By this stage Hulgar felt compassion for the German soldiers.  Having read the telex he sought no exchange.  He was aware of the risks.  Hitler would also be in the same bunker.  But the 3rd Riche had never informed Hitler of Hulgar’s existence.  He arrived in Berlin.  Hulgar was shocked by the devastation the bombs had caused.  Magda welcomed Hulgar at the bunker door.  Then in the blink of an eye reality came crashing in on Hulgar. Hitler stared at him.  The clown that Hitler heard was magical.  The clown that his 3rd Riche colleagues had lied about and covered up and been discovered and meet his final destiny. 

BERLIN 28th of May 1945

Hulgar moved across the room.  He realized how frail the camps had impacted his previously athletic body.  He smeared the white paint, but pride instilled him to paint a frown.  If death was his destiny so be it.  He knew Alfons life was on the line.  Theodore from Dachau had confessed all to Hitler.  This was not deadlock; this was a deep dark death.  Himmler knocked on the door and entered.  He informed Hulgar of Magda, s children passing.  He stopped trembling.  “There are now winners in war” he muttered to himself.  He was led to a small empty room in the Bunker.  Himmler closed the door behind him.  Just Hitler and Hulgar.  Hitler stared at the frown on Hukgar’s face and was comforted by it.  Hitler said the last time I laughed was on my 6th Birthday.

“We family was poor.  I was the youngest.  My father worked in a Jewish factory.  He worked long hard hours and was paid a pittance.  Occasionally my father had a Sunday off.  On one off the days off my father had taken me to the park.  We meet one of his Jewish managers He was very kind to me but even at 6 I knew he was undressing me with his eyes.  I felt filled with hatred and disgust.  My father read my emotion and warned me with a firm grasp of the hand to say nothing.  Later that night my father explained that if he lost his job the whole family would be split up and sent t the workhouse.  I had heard mummers even at six years if age what happened in those places.  A few days later my father announced that the “manager” he met was to pay for a birthday party.  There was going to be a proper cake, candles and lemonade.  I was ecstatic c with excitement.  I could invite 10 friends from school.  At last I would no longer be laughed at for my “hand me downs”.  Best of the entire Jewish manager” was going to dress up as a clown.  The party was a rip roaring success.  “The manager performed and the for the first time since birth there was laughter in my home.  This “manager” was my friend and hero.  The park terror evaporated into air above.  When the party was finished “the manager” asked me if I wanted to go for a walk.  It was cold and dark outside but my belly was fully of cake, lemonade and laughter.  My father was not happy about the alleged walk.  But I insisted “Daddy this is the best day of my life” We left the house and as we walked that fear washed over me again.  We reached our destination.  The scene of my humiliation and desperation.  It was the local graveyard.  He said are any of your family buried here?  “My granny” I quivered.  “Show me he said.”  Instinctively I knew what was to happen next.  He performed a few trick on my grannies grave and then he raped.  So Hulgar I have never laughed since and the sight of the clown’s custom I am in that moment.



Hulgar saw the intense hatred in Hitler’s eyes.  He heard the click of the pistol.  Hitler shot him in the head.  The clown costume saved everyone else but the clown himself.  Hulgar and millions of Jews paid a high price for Hitler’s last laugh at six years of age.









© Copyright 2009 sam (fionad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1607191-berlin