*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1629646-emotional-poetry
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1629646
thoughts on poetry
“My heart broke loose upon the wind”

That’s a line by Pablo Neruda, describing his ascendancy into the written world of poetry. Now, if we, take poetry for its literary value, strip it of the poets, isolate the words, and from them assemble this world of poetry, what do we find? Let’s say we did that, and the beautiful words existed without the people who wrote them, what would we really have? What i mean is what is it about words which trigger emotions in us when assembled in a certain way. Furthermore, what type of power do these words hold if they could tug on our emotions, and lift them and then drop them even harder? Let’s take this a step further, what is it about emotions which make them so difficult to describe in words? Even if you tried, how well can you really describe love, and that inexorable clenching feeling which pulls on your gut, the clouded muffled vision which makes us think that no other person on this earth could possibly compare to this admired and impeccable person. I’m not a very good writer, and the better authors can describe love in much more detail, but then again, is love or fear or anger the same for me as it for some other person? If variations such as skin color and height exist amongst people then emotions must vary as well. Poetry, the words themselves show that emotions are constant throughout various people and that they only differ in degree. Poetry shows that words can create the same emotions in different people because the words would not be accepted as poetry if they couldn’t. Poetry connects all of us by the very things which make us human: our emotions.
© Copyright 2009 ahvaz10 (ahvaz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1629646-emotional-poetry