*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1930404-The-difference-in-me
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1930404
Hi there! I’m Claire and I can almost guarantee that I am different to all of you.
Hi there! I’m Claire and I can almost guarantee that I am different to all of you.  Not only that, but I am pretty sure the majority of the things I do will be done differently to how you’d do them.  But unless I am doing things very wrong (it happens, I am human!), we will all achieve the same goals.

So, I’m disabled: I talk differently and I walk differently. I’m fine with that, when babies were being made someone clearly decided I was strong enough to deal with this.  Other people, it seems, are not so fine with it.  Geeez, the number of funny looks and comments I get each day, are astonishing.  Last week, for example, was particularly full of such comments, to the point where I decided to change a life – for the better I think.

So, on Monday I flew back from a weekend in New York.  As I was using my wheelchair, health and safety regulations at JFK state that a staff member must escort me from check-in directly to the gate. Heaven forbid I might want to grab breakfast at 6am!  I fly a lot so airport security is no biggy. But as I was getting my iPad out my handbag, my “escort” grabbed the bag, went into it and emptied out all my belongings. Right, different now means no privacy?

Tuesday, I had meetings: Lots of meetings. On my way I decided to stop in the park for some fresh air.  I say fresh air, what I mean is I wanted a smoke.  I was lighting my “disgusting habit stick” by holding it on my lap; I can’t do it the other way so I don’t try.  “You’ll catch fire” I hear a voice say near my ear.  I smiled sweetly and said “nahh I really won’t, just a different method” as the voice walked off.

Wednesday, as I opened my car door I heard another voice say, “you can’t drive that!”  I sighed as I turned to ask why not. “Well, you can barely walk, no way they’d give you a licence”.  With a smug look on my face I told the voice I could clearly walk and took great pleasure in producing my driving licence for the voice’s perusal.  As I started my engine to leave, I pointed out that cars could be adapted so that different people can drive them in different ways. As it happens, my car is not adapted at all but they didn’t need to know that, right?

Thursday, someone congratulated me for leaving the house and joining society.  I stopped myself from saying “REALLY?” but I smiled and thanked them.  Being polite is the best policy in these situations.  People like this are just trying to be nice.  Doesn’t stop me wanting to poke them in the eye though.  Mind you, eyes freak me out, so if it came to the actual poking, I’d no doubt chicken out.

Friday! Ahh Friday; it was a busy one. Deadlines, meetings, travelling – you name it! So, I decided that I needed a beer after work.  I headed to a pub I liked and ordered a beer and some food.  The guy at the bar looked at me as if to say, “Are you allowed beer?”… In my head I dared him to say it, but he kept quiet and poured my beer.

I sat by the window; sipping my beer and watching the world go by as I waited on my food.  It had been a long week and I was tired.  A man I didn’t know walked into the pub and looked around, his eyes stopping when they got to me. Here we go, I thought, as he walked over to me.

“A little early to be drunk already, isn’t it?” the man said.  I didn’t have my wheelchair with me so that wasn’t there acting as a major giveaway.

“Firstly, do I know you? Secondly, whilst I am indeed drinking beer, this is all I’ve had” I said pointing to my glass “and am in no way drunk!”  I was a little taken a back, but this wasn’t the first time I’d been asked this.

“Well, you look and sound drunk. Therefore, I conclude you must be!”

I rolled my eyes, inside I was laughing but I had yet to decide how friendly I was going to be.  “I am guessing that when it comes to writing essays and reports your conclusions are your downfall?” I said.

“Perhaps”

“Lucky guess, huh?” I was chuckling now; he seemed harmless enough.  As he appeared to be at a loose end I decided that, this time, I would correct his prejudgements. So I told him to get a drink because I wanted to tell him a story. 

Doing as I suggested, he took a seat at my table and waited for me to speak.  It was then, not for the first time, that I told my story; the story of my life.  I explained my disability and how it occurred due to a difficult birth.  I told him about my time growing up in Africa and of my international swimming career.  I shared with him stories of my unsuccessful school life; my teachers thinking I was stupid.  I then concluded with explaining my highly successful university education and that I was now an established mentor for school students.

As I spoke, his jaw slackened and he looked utterly shocked.  I came to an end by saying, “So you see, the woman you see before you is not drunk.  But she is different and different frightens people.”

“How?” he muttered, almost inaudibly.
“How did I do it?” I asked, before continuing. “Mostly, everyone does everything the same way. It doesn’t mean there’s no other way. You just need to think outside the box.”

We spoke for hours longer. During which time he apologised and thanked me for giving him a different outlook.

Hurrah! Mission complete! Until next time…


Written for the “Writer’s Cramp” contest 04/24/13
Word count =  1000
© Copyright 2013 Fran 🌈🧜‍♀️ (frannywill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1930404-The-difference-in-me