*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2003063-I-Am-From
Rated: E · Poetry · Emotional · #2003063
A poem describing where I truly came from

I Am From

I am from the spirit, soul and essence of God, travellers of the universe.

I am from Ken and Deena, a sperm donation from Ralph, Jim and Vi, Lilyn and someone who remains unknown.

I am from long, cold winters, snow four feet high, and the northern lights of Western Canada.

I am from a mother's womb, mistakes made, and consequences experienced.

I am from broken homes, shattered dreams and jaws, chaos, powerlessness, and fear.

I am from alcoholism and a beer never hurt no one... often.

From physical violence, accusations, suspicions, and screaming so loud it could deafen the dead.

I am from "children should be seen and not heard." and "stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about."

From low self-esteem and self-worth based on visions of impossible perfection and physical looks.

I am from intense disappointment, deep rooted shame, and secrets we don't talk about.

I am from dirty laundry which was the family clandestine knowledge and not something you hung outside to air out.

I am from the shallow minds of men, and the deep hearts of women.

I am from camping, dirt biking, horseback riding, and spending nights under the intense stars while wrapped in wool blankets and surrounded by the cold rocky mountain air.

I am from Barbie dolls, Barbie cars, and easy bake ovens overflowing with chocolaty gooey goodness inside.

From homemakers and gatherers, wranglers and hard workers toiling from dawn until dusk.

I am from a world where men are men, and women obey lest they be put in their place with a sturdy backhand.

I am from a place where dreamers are nothing, and will never get anywhere as long as their heads are in the clouds.

I am from survivors and fighters, no matter the cost nor what obstacle may lie in their path.

From those who rise above all else despite the depth of their despair.

I am from hope for a different kind of future, and change beyond the imagination.

© Copyright 2014 Bekah Rae (rebekaah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2003063-I-Am-From