*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2024621-Snail-Mail-Why-it-Still-Has-a-Place
Rated: E · Article · Biographical · #2024621
Pick up a pen and write to someone
Snail mail — named after the snail with its slow speed—refers to letters and missives carried by conventional postal delivery services. Also named after the "snail-trail" used to glue the envelope. The phrase refers to the lag-time between dispatch of a letter and its receipt, versus the virtually instantaneous dispatch and delivery of its electronic equivalent, e-mail.


These days, with technology at our fingertips at any time we want, it is rare that we take time out to get back to basics. I wonder how many people use pens to write more than a post-it note these days? It isn’t often, I’d confidently wager. Unless, of course, you are a writer with an obsession with stationary, like me.

This is even more accurate when we think about our mailboxes. Now, to many of us, the term ‘mail box’ no longer relates to the holes in our doors or the box at the bottom of our drive. Rather, our minds instantly wander to the computer program or webpage that holds hundreds of quickly typed and, often, thoughtless, messages. Messages that we get day in and day out without really thinking about it.

Each and every time the email program pings, the physical mailboxes that used to be the king of communication, is forgotten that little bit more. Actually the only job of a physical mailbox - these days - is to bring us bills and bad news.

Indeed, if you’re like me, you’ll merely sift through your mail when you get home then just chuck it on the pile with the rest of the typed up junk you don’t want to read. That is, unless you see a handwritten envelope. I guarantee that everyone likes checking his or her mail a bit more if we receive a handwritten letter. I know I do! Handwriting makes mail nicer, more personal.

So, if we all like getting personal snail mail so much, why is it that we don’t bother with it anymore?

Time!

It takes time to sit down, think of what to write, write it in our neatest writing, find a stamp, and then walk to the post box. Further, if we don’t get a response, we’ve wasted time. Who, these days, has that much time to waste? I’d argue we all do.

Think back to the last time you received a [nice] personal snail mail letter. Did you smile? Even if just a half smile: I’m willing to bet you did. Now, imagine you were the one to break up someone else’s depressing pile of bills with a heart felt letter that you took your time over. Just because you are miles away, unable to see the smile, doesn’t mean it won’t be there. In fact, it might be bigger because you can’t see.

I used to write to a lot of people who were unwell: never well enough to leave the house. Every time I got a response, my heart swelled. A beautiful, handwritten, letter on my doorstep would mean that someone had spent their whole day’s energy just writing to me.
But, as ever, life got busy and technology took over. So, the letters stopped! I didn’t get another personal letter in my mailbox for about five years after that - other than a few Christmas cards, of course.

That was until recently, when I signed up for the Snail Mail group on writing.com. At Christmas, I sent about fifty cards and letters off around the world. This made me feel great. I felt even better when, every time I checked my mail, I had a multitude of cards to read and enjoy. I have to say, I loved every one of them.

So, I ask again, if snail mail makes us so happy, why do we not do more of it?

Nearly all the people who will read this, either on WDC or Wordpress, will be writers. Therefore, you have no excuse: simply change what you are writing for thirty or so minutes.

Make someone’s day. Think of a family member or friend, choose someone random out of the phone book, or write to me if you wish. Whoever you choose, give up some time, ink, fancy paper and a stamp. If, for whatever reason, they don’t reply, so what? At least you’ve gone back to basics and offered a little bit of love, care and attention.

My final thought: We all live busy lives. But there is no reason why we cannot put down our computers or phones for a few minutes to show someone we care.
© Copyright 2015 Fran 🌈🧜‍♀️ (frannywill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2024621-Snail-Mail-Why-it-Still-Has-a-Place