*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2064539-Applications-of-Computer-Technology
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Technology · #2064539
Computer Technology has been used for many years to increase productivity.
https://www.amazon.com/Scholastic-Educational-Research-Technology-Mathematics/dp...
***
Computer Technology is increasingly being incorporated into the field of Education through school curriculum. Teachers present processes and concepts using programs such as Microsoft Office Power Point, Excel, and Word etc., and students can utilize visual models and word processor to enhance their learning experience. (Smith, 2015)
The most important aspect of computers in education is that they provide drill and practice for the student. This enhances their thinking and creativity process as the use of computer technology has recreated interesting ways in which students can complete their assignments. Unlike teacher instruction, which may become tedious over time, computers provide motivation to the student to continue learning.

Now from levels such as preschool, primary, secondary and tertiary levels, the experience of a prepared educator led to significant gains in academic pursuit and knowledge. The continued utilizing of computers in education makes abstract concepts visible to students who may be discouraged from learning material. The effectiveness of computers used in problem solving mathematics, for example, has been proven that using computers is an ideal method of teaching. Computers helped students to “use their mathematical knowledge and stimulate them into making their thinking visible” (Hurme, 2005).
Some ways in which technology improves education over time listed by Saxena (2013) are;
• Teachers can collaborate to share their ideas and resources online: They can communicate with others across the world in an instant, meet the shortcomings of their work, refine it and provide their students with the best. This approach definitely enhances the practice of teaching.
• Students can develop valuable research skills at a young age: Technology gives students immediate access to an abundance of quality information which leads to learning at much quicker rates than before.
• Students and teachers have access to an expanse of material: There are plenty of resourceful, credible websites available on the Internet that both teachers and students can utilize. The Internet also provides a variety of knowledge and does not limit students to one person’s opinion.
• Online learning is now an equally credible option: Face-to-face interaction is huge, especially in the younger years, but some students work better when they can go at their own pace. Online education is now accredited and has changed the way we view education.

There are Tutorial Programs, Instructional Games, Problem Solving Games all serve their purpose in stimulating the minds of children, but the most effective aspect of the computer is the Internet. The internet allows students to access monumental amounts of information, connect with many different cultures, and contains information on every topic imaginable. Students can engage in programs like GLOBE, in which students participate in a national study by collecting and submitting data on local soil samples.
According to Saxena (2013), there are numerous instances to date where we can see the improvement in education, once it embraced technology. A list along with the references to the originals is shown as follows:
• The Flipped Classroom: This popular technological approach has gotten to everybody’s ears by now. It is a practice in which, students watch lecture videos as homework and discussion is carried on them in the class-time by the teachers. It has resulted in a remarkably better student performance, with noticeable grade boost-up. Students can now learn at their own pace and save class-time for interaction.
• Effectiveness of EdTech on Mathematics for K-12: Technology has proved to be effective for making students efficiently adept with Math. Out of several, there are three remarkable technologies, which in my opinion should be brought to the light. Computer-managed learning is a program that uses computers to assess student learning on Math and assign them with appropriate Math material, which they can work on to score and receive a chart of their progress for self-assessment; Comprehensive models such as Cognitive Tutor and I Can Learn use computer-aided instruction as well as non-computer activities for students to approach Math;
• Long-term research indicative of the positives of technology on learning: Research have been performed to address to the question, does the use of computer technology affect student achievement in traditional classrooms as compared to classrooms that do not use technology.
• Educational Technology improves student learning outcomes: Evidence suggests that educational technologies can improve student achievement, so long as such tools are integrated thoughtfully into teaching and learning. When digital capabilities like, online environments are incorporated meaningfully into instruction, students have new opportunities to learn and achieve.
• The effect of technology on education depends on the design of instruction: The design of the instruction accounts for more variance in how and why people learn than the technology used to deliver the instruction. Educators and educational researchers should be encouraged to focus on determining how to better integrate the use of a given technology to facilitate learning, rather than asking if it works or if one is more effective than another.

Computer Technology has been used for many years in the field of Education to increase productivity. One could conclude that the pros of educational technology outweigh the cons. The increasing promises of educational technology are phenomenal both in rural and urban school districts. Educators should continue to incorporate computer technology through using programs that retain children's attention and reinforce methods and concepts taught in class.
In relation to international competitors that are excelling in the areas of math and science, using computers efficiently, and conducting business by means of modern technology, it is essential that our children are taught how to use and learn from computers in order to produce increasing society that is up to par with nations worldwide. 

References:

Hurme, T., (2005). Students' Activity in Computer-Supported Collaborative Problem Solving
in Mathematics. International Journal of Computers for Mathematical Learning, 10, 49-
73.

Saxena, S. (2013), Using Technology in Education: Does It Improve Anything? Available:
http://edtechreview.in/news/681-technology-in-education

Smith, L. (2015), Educational Technology , Department of Physcology, University of Michigan,
Available: http://sitemaker.umich.edu/lem.smith/effectiveness_of_computers_in_education
© Copyright 2015 Claude H. A. Simpson (teach600 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2064539-Applications-of-Computer-Technology