*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2132074-Two-Empty-Chairs
Rated: ASR · Documentary · Family · #2132074
on the deaths of my brother and sister
Seven years ago my brother and sister died. First was my brother who, at age 21, went to Las Vegas to celebrate his birthday with his best friend. They stayed out late one night and he was attacked, robbed, beaten, and brutally murdered by being pushed off a public balcony onto 50 feet of concrete.

Did the police care? No. Things like this happen all the time in Las Vegas, "City of Sin". I was the first one in my family to arrive at the hospital because I lived in Arizona at the time. He was in such great shape physically that he survived the fall, but his spine was severed and he would never walk again. He survived 12 days in the hospital on life support in a coma before having many strokes that would cause permanent brain damage. We as a family decided to take him off life support and let him go. This was no life to live if he miraculously came out of this state. And he would not want that.

Ten days later my sister, at age 29, took her own life. We were all very close as siblings and losing him was too much for her to handle. She struggled with depression prior to this and I think every day how I wish I was there for her more when this most devastating tragedy happened with our brother . We were in separate States, thousands of miles away, but this is no excuse. I should have been there for her. And for that I'm sorry.

I lost two siblings within ten days. Will I ever be the same? No. Will I move forward? Yes. I believe everything happens for a reason. Every precious moment with a dear loved one is such a treasure. I am thankful for the memories, for the time we spent together, and for the close bond we shared. These were my two closest siblings and they are gone. I believe one day we will meet again.

For now, two empty chairs rest quietly at my table.

(JB and CB 2010)
© Copyright 2017 River McKenna (rivermckenna at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2132074-Two-Empty-Chairs