*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2223973-Invitation-To-Dance
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2223973
a wallflower is asked to dance
Invitation to Dance

It wasn't her fault that she was awkward and wore braces. But she figured that was why she went to school dances alone, sat by herself and pretended she was enjoying the music. Her female classmates looked over at her, and she averted her eyes, uncomfortable with the need to question if they looked to engage her in an honest exchange, or if they simply derived some satisfaction from knowing that she was bettering their chances with the boys.

From across the room, a tall boy with slicked-down hair, entered and proceeded to walk across the floor. He'd done quite a bit of growing since he'd acquired the suit jacket he was wearing. The disco ball hanging from the ceiling flashed across his face and made his eyes sparkle as he crossed the gym.

Then he was in front of her. Without a word, he held out his hand. She looked up and saw the silver tracks poking out between his lips as he smiled. She smiled, took his hand, and let him lead her under the blinking lights to dance.


JMariah

Entered in the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge



© Copyright 2020 JMariah (poetjmariah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2223973-Invitation-To-Dance