*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2281595-The-Treasure-Map
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Other · #2281595
A boy takes a treasure map to school for show and tell.
The Treasure Map
By Phoenix Dragon

“You did what?!” Grandma shouted.
“I took it to school for show and tell.”
“How could you do that?”
“Why not? It was just Uncle George’s old map.”
“Yes, it was. And I didn’t want anyone to know I had it.”
“Why?
“When I first received it, robbers tore up my house looking for it.
“Why didn’t find it?”
Aunt Martha smirked. “Because I was running late for church that day and I stuck George’s letter in my prayer book for safe keeping.”
“Maybe the robbers have forgotten about it.”
“You think someone who dug up George’s grave just because I might have put that map in his coffin is going to forget?”
“Probably not. I’m sorry, Aunt Martha.”
Aunt Martha thought hard for a way to fix this.
“Give me that map,” she said. “I’m going to burn it. Now go upstairs.”

Bobby and his friend Terrance sat on the steps outside Hasner’s Ice Cream Shop enjoying their cones.
“I hear you stirred up some excitement at school yesterday with that treasure map,” said a voice behind them.
Bobby looked back. “Oh, hello Officer Crandlle.”
“Silver mine, isn’t it?” Crandle disliked kids.
“Yeah,” Bobby said taking a lick.
“I heard about that map when I moved here a few years back. Think I could see it?”
“No.”
Crandle’s hands tightened into fists.
“And why not?”
“Because Aunt Martha burned it.”
“She did what!” he said dumbfounded. “Why?”
“She said it had caused enough trouble, and she wasn’t having every Tom, Dick, and Harry in the county traipsing through her house looking for it.”
“No,” Crandle said softly to himself. “No.”
He turned away. His shoulders sagged and his fists went limp. He closed his mouth and slowly walked up the street.

300 words


© Copyright 2022 Phoenix Dragon (mepotts at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2281595-The-Treasure-Map