*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2300327-Waiting
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2300327
Flash Fiction
Waiting

“Are you alright? You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

“What?” Karen asked.

“Huh?” Stan said back.

“I look like I’d seen a ghost? What does that look like?”

Frowning a bit, he said, “You look like something just scared you. You’re pale and shaking a little, like a person would be if they saw a ghost.”

“People actually see ghosts?” she asked.

“I don’t know! It’s just a saying. I don’t believe in ghosts, but if I thought I saw one, I might get all pale and shaky. Did something happen that scared you?

“No, the pale is my new make-up. I thought it was a bit too light, but I decided to give it a try anyway, and I’m shaking because I was sitting right in front of the air conditioner when they turned it on, I’m freezing!”

Stan laughed, “That’s so funny! Are you alright now?”

“I guess so, though I haven’t seen a ghost.”

Stan laughed. Then Karen added, “Though, you might have...”

“Me?” he laughed again.

Suddenly Karen expanded to sixteen feet high and started glowing in bright colors. Stan automatically covered his head and let out a scream, but when he opened his eyes second’s later, there was Karen, just as she had been before the scare.

“Something wrong?” she asked, as if nothing had happened.

“Ah, I don’t feel so well, I need to get home…” and off he went, running.

“That was mean…” came a voice from Karen’s pocket. “He was just being supportive!”

“Blah, blah, I’m sick of them all. I can’t wait to go back!”

“Well, our ship arrives in just two more earth days,” came the voice from Karen’s pocket.

“It’s been a very long twenty years on this weird planet,” Karen said, “two more days seems like forever…”
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2300327-Waiting