*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2324892-Kismet
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2324892
Flash Fiction
Kismet

“Darn, the door is locked!”

“Jiggle the handle!” Jane said, pulling another bag out of the car.

“I gigged it three times already, it’s really locked this time,” Jeff said.

“Let me try it,” Jane said looking at her husband as though he was an idiot. But it didn’t budge for her either.

“So,” Jeff said, “I’m not an idiot after all?”

“I never said you were an idiot!”

“True, but you gave me that look…” he smiled, “Do we have a key? I don’t remember ever using a key on this door.”

“I don’t either. There was never much need to lock it, nobody would try and rob this crappy house…”

“True and when we’re home, we just turn the inside lock on the door. Try again.”

No luck. “I’ll just scoot to the back door and open this one? The groceries are getting hot, or cold, whichever direction they are not supposed to go.”

“What if the back door is locked too?”

“We’ll move to Indiana.”

“What?”

“Oh, sorry, we used to say that at my house growing up.”

“What does it mean?”

“Nothing I guess, just stop worrying about this problem… move to Indiana!”

“Jane! I just got a job offer in Indiana!”

“What?”

“I was going to tell you about it tonight at dinner, see how you felt.”

“Move to Indiana? Are you kidding me? I have three sisters in Indiana! That would be fantastic!”

“Don’t you want to hear about my job?”

“Of course… but Indiana!”

“What’s so great about Indiana?”

“Nothing, everything! My sisters are there. Family!”

“So, I should take the job?”

“Well, if you want to…”

“Indiana, here we come!”

Suddenly the door popped open all by itself.

Kismet: a force that controls the future, and knows how to get things done!
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2324892-Kismet