*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2324963-How-it-Went
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2324963
Flash Fiction
How it Went

“Don’t forget your baseball cap!” Gramps yelled to five-year-old Tim.

“I don’t have a baseball cap… What is it??”

“Oh, you’re kidding right? Of course, you know what a baseball cap is.”

“Is that a hat for a baseball?”

“No… Ah, go get a hat you… it’s a little windy outside,” Gramps ended the conversation, he thought…

As they walked down the street: “Is it made out of one?”

“What?” Gramps asked.

“A baseball cap, is it made out of baseball?”

“Tim, doesn’t your father watch sports on TV?”

“No, he likes the news though, and the weather!”

“OK, well baseball is a game you play with a ball and a bat. You have teams and see who is better.”

“And does the cap do this?”

“No, all the players wear the caps, there are a whole string of teams, you can tell which team someone is on by his cap.”

“Well, I’m not on a team so maybe that’s why I don’t have a baseball cap…”

“OK, well you and I can watch some games together and then we’ll get you a baseball cap!”

“Yippee!”

“So, where shall we go for breakfast?”

“I had an orange…”

“That’s not enough breakfast… lets go get pancakes or something.”

“What is a baseball really?”

“It’s a ball…”

“A real ball? Huh… just a ball huh…”

“What did you think it was when we were talking?”

“I don’t know. I don’t know most of the time what grown-ups mean. I think I have to be older or something.”

“Well let’s get you older! There’s a game later this afternoon, let’s go!”

“Yippee!”

That day, eighteen years ago, Tim fell in love with baseball. This year, right out of college, he joined the Red Socks!
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2324963-How-it-Went