*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326301-The-Sanctuary
Rated: GC · Short Story · Dark · #2326301
A look into "The Sanctuary", where danger lurks in the deepest shadows.
The sun was beginning to set, the bright rays shining through the golden leaves that hung from ever-dying branches, and casting down soft lights that illuminated the area around the children. The crisp air whistled through the trees and past the rocks, creating a soft symphony of rustling leaves and groaning oaks, but also chilling Clover and Liam to the core.

"This should be enough, right? We... We really need to head back..." Clover adjusted the bundle of sticks and twigs in her arms, her rabbit ears perked to listen in for any danger that might arrive with the light of the moon. Her wide, icy blue eyes darted around her surroundings as she stepped closer to Liam. She hated firewood gathering–she wasn't much of a runner, she was better at keeping watch while the others slept through the night.

Liam rolled his shoulders, shaking off any sort of discomfort he felt knowing what was to come. His coyote ears folded back and his tail was eerily still, he was like a statue–The only movement he made for the longest time was the simple rise and fall of his chest as he breathed. After what felt like ages, he nodded and started to walk away, pulling away from Clover without a second thought. "We should've headed back before the sun started going down."

"I know," Clover mumbled, "and I'm sorry, but you know how low we were on wood." She rapidly caught up with her older teammate, keeping close to Liam as they crept through the woods. The pristine and calming environment slowly became more sinister as the light dissipated into the horizon–It was like a facade that was slowly fading, the small lamb revealing its hidden, sharpened maw and claws.

Liam didn't answer–it was like he didn't even hear her–he just kept walking with a steady determination. Once the moon began to rise, the two kids slowed their pace even more than it already was, every step feeling like they were stuck in slow-mo. Unlike the sun, the moon's soft beams made the trees seem haunted; the air was still, and the once glowing leaves became amber ghosts as the light became trapped behind them. The trees no longer made their soft sounds of age, and any sign of animal activity seemed to have suddenly ceased.

The sudden stillness was unbearable; Despite the openness of the forests, it felt compressed and claustrophobic. Every crunching leaf or snapping twig made the two freeze, awaiting any sort of danger that could have been lurking in the darkness around them, but it couldn't stop them for long. Clover's breath came in short, quick bursts, teetering on the verge of hyperventilation as she tried to remain calm. She tried to keep her arms wrapped around the large bundle of sticks that she had collected over the hours they've been out, not letting a single twig drop from her increasingly sweaty grip.

"You alright?" Liam finally spoke, making Clover jump as a shiver shot up and down her spine. The older boy was looking down at his rabbit companion, seeing her struggle with the sticks as they traversed the uneven terrain. "I can carry some of them, if it'll make you any faster." Clover paused, she didn't want to be even more of a bother towards Liam. At the same time, though, she was slow due to the weight and uncertainty of where her feet were landing. Before she could decide, something behind Liam caught her eye; three white, almost glowing, eyes peering at them through the thick bushes and darkness.

Liam saw the sudden terror in Clover's eyes and turned to follow her gaze, the color and determination draining from his face as he met the eye of the beast that stalked them. Time seemed to freeze for a few moments; There was no breeze, no sounds, and the two children were terrified of letting the slightest twitch escape their body. Clover whimpered quietly, her ears that once stood tall had fallen limp behind her, the only sound she could hear was her own heart hammering in her chest.

"Clover," Liam hissed through gritted teeth, his eyes locked onto the white voids that stared back at both him and his friend, "we need to run. Now." Liam took a step back, his movement slow and deliberate so as to not abandon Clover.

"What?" Clover couldn't tear his eyes away from the creature for more than a single moment, but the surprise made her stare directly at Liam. She couldn't move, her body felt rigid and cold, like she was thrown into an icy lake with no way to get out.

After a brief moment of pause, Liam sprinted off, leaving Clover behind in a moment of desperate fear. Clover's attention snapped towards where Liam was, the terror kept her feet firmly planted to the spot, like roots sprouted and curled around her ankles.

The beast pounced, Clover landing on her back and feeling the weight of the creature and its giant paw pressing down on her chest, while its sharp claws dug into the ground beside her head. Her breath quickened as she stared up at the Lunar Beast; its fur was tough, matted, and the color of the darkest patch of night. She saw its horns curl up towards the sky, the points as sharp as needles, at least it was a distraction from the three orbs of light that made up its eyes.

The creature opened its mouth, Clover closing her eyes to try and avoid the sight of its jagged teeth looming over her. Its breath equated to rotten meat and eggs, a powerful stench that swirled in her nostrils and made her sick to her stomach. Every shiver or twitch from Clover seemed to make the creature press itself harder onto her chest, slowly blocking off oxygen and putting pressure on her weakening ribcage.

Clover could feel the saliva drip from its maw before something took its attention away from her. Its head perked up and looked off into the distance, meanwhile, Clover didn't dare open her eyes. All she thought she could do was wait for her demise, that was until she heard a familiar, stern voice.

"Hey!" Liam's voice rang out, strong and commanding. When Clover finally opened her eyes, she saw him with an armful of rocks instead of wood. While she was happy to see him back attempting to help, part of her still worried that it would be fruitless.

After Liam threw another rock at the beast, it roared; A ragged and guttural screech that made the ground shake beneath its feet, and the bones inside the children's chests rattle together. Liam was ready to sprint away again, trying to give Clover a chance to escape; He was a better runner than she was after all.

Before he could even take a step, the monster sprung toward the boy, its teeth digging deep under the boy’s skin, tearing through his flesh like paper, and snapping his bones like a toothpick. The sudden attack caused Liam to let out some sort of noise, but it wasn't human. It was a sound that served no purpose but to express the horrifying pain that wracked the young boy's body. The forest and Clover heard it and could understand, and it was a sound that would haunt the surrounding area for what might be the rest of time.

Clover scrambled to her feet, her body shaking as she watched the creature pause. It was almost as if it was as surprised as her at the screech Liam had somehow managed to make. After a moment, the girl rushed to Liam's aid, trying to drag him out from under the monster's grasp.

The sound of Liam's continued cries and whimpers haunted Clover, especially when she saw the damage the beast had truly made. The girl had to hold back a sob as she dragged Liam away, the beast continuing to watch. She couldn't tell if it was proud of what it did, or if it was simply waiting for them to die off so it could eat them later. She took a second glance at what was left of Liam's leg; There was nothing but blood, dark and pooling with every single step. Liam had to chew on the inside of his cheek to keep himself from continuing to scream and possibly attracting more danger.

His eyes were squeezed tightly shut, an arm wrapped around Clover's shoulders, and pain flooding every one of his senses. His body felt heavier with each passing moment, staying conscious was quickly becoming an Olympian task. "The village has to be close..." Clover repeated to herself, trying to keep a steady rhythm in her pace so Liam wouldn't trip. If he fell, there was a likely chance she wouldn't be able to pick him up again. She just had to get him back to the village, they could help him there, he was going to be okay...

The walk felt like it took years, but eventually, Clover could see the lights that made up the village's torches. She looked down at Liam, his eyes struggling to stay open as he swayed back and forth; while the pain remained, he couldn't muster the energy to react anymore.

The girl adjusted his weight on her before going as quickly as she could, causing Liam to stumble as his world spun around him; staying awake was becoming harder with every second. He knew that falling asleep would likely lead to him not waking up, but the loss of blood made it hard to stay awake. "Hey, hey come on we're almost there, please..." Clover whispered, her clothes stained with his blood as she rushed to get him help. She couldn't let him die, not like this, not after he saved her; it wouldn't be fair. She continued to try speaking to Liam, a sense of urgency in her voice as the village drew closer.

The other children watched as Clover crashed through the trees, her breath ragged and body shaking, the exhaustion started to creep now that she was finally safe. She knew she didn't need to say anything, seeing the others scamper away to get one of the Leaders, or coming to help her and Liam to the medical cabin.

Liam could barely understand what was happening, all he heard were muffled voices as his vision blurred. It was bright, and he could make out some details despite his delusional state, he must be home... Maybe now he could finally rest, he was already being carried somewhere...

Liam was carried inside the cabin and taken somewhere private, the Advisors who took on the medical duties immediately got to work when they both saw the nightmarish damage he had endured. The only sign of life that Liam had, other than his slowing breath, was the occasional twitch of his ear or fingers.

Clover was getting a more minor check-up, only having a few cuts and bruises. She was mostly silent, staring towards the room where she knew Liam was being held. All she could do was hope that he'd be okay, despite the fact that he wouldn't walk again, at least not until they found some sort of replacement.
© Copyright 2024 hihohyena (hihohyena at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326301-The-Sanctuary