*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326678-Shadows-of-Agua-Fria
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Western · #2326678
A stranger rides into the old west town of Agua Fria, New Mexico.
The once peaceable town of Agua Fria boiled with hidden tension. Troubles with renegades and bandits had been bad, though it had been some time since the last raids. Like any other boomtown, her streets overflowed with people seeking their fortunes. Gold and silver mines brought more people to the farming community; adding their personal and political schemes to the unstable mix. Navigating her streets even visitors could feel the weight of stress on their shoulders. Agua Fria was a powder keg. With tensions high, the last thing the town needed was a spark.

Riding into town, a lone stranger upon a horse as black as midnight threatened to shatter this fragile peace. Upon his hip, he wore a sawed-off Winchester repeating rifle in a custom holster. Spurring on his mount as he rode in from the South, he slowly scanned; taking note of all he saw. The stranger had a dark presence about him, his cold eyes narrowed to slits by the New Mexico sun. He looked dangerous. The majestic black horse moved with a slow grace, its rider bobbed lightly in the saddle. It was not the graceful animal that held the towns' attention. All eyes were focused on the stranger. It was his weapon that caught every eye and suspicion drove many to utter the words "Outlaw", or "Killer". People in Agua Fria were caught off guard by this menacing presence, and could only stare as he dismounted his horse with a thud and stepped onto the boardwalk. A sense of foreboding had fallen over the town, and its people feared a coming storm.

Eyes narrowed in distrust as the stranger walked past. Shopkeepers eyed him with skepticism. A mother pulled her child to the side, shielding the kid behind her skirts. The stranger was used to this treatment. He used cynicism and distrust to his advantage. These were natural human emotions that allowed him to appear menacing. In his line of work, it paid to look dangerous. He knew that for a fact. Knowing so did nothing to remove the sting he felt when things like this happened. With a furrowed brow and a stern look, the newcomer turned to face the woman who spurned him.

"The marshal," he demanded of the woman who could only point in reply.

He noticed the child's bright eyes shining at him. The little girl craned her neck to look around her mother. Her smile was infectious. The stranger returned her smile and tipped his hat with a wink, leaving the two to their business. He walked in the direction the woman had given him. He was working and had a simple yet dangerous job to do.





© Copyright 2024 E. Scott Ieppert (ieppert at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326678-Shadows-of-Agua-Fria