*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2328098-Meditations
Rated: E · Essay · Philosophy · #2328098
General religious reflections; The Self; Qualities of "Wisdom" and "Truth"

Anthony J Downey

San Diego CA

9/7/24



Meditations of a Contemporary Misanthrope : Religious Reflections






????????????? ??????? ??????? ???? ???? | ????????????? ?????? ?? ?????????: ? ?? ?: || 3||



"The faith of all humans conforms to the nature of their mind. All people possess faith, and whatever the nature of their faith, that is verily what they are."

Bhagavad Gita: Chapter 17, Verse 3




If God is real it seems he has abandoned us, then who is left to save you? The messages of all the great religions are often misconstrued and conflated into something of which is outside of ourselves. They should more appropriately be applied as mental tools for transformation of the spirit which dwells within. God is seen as something that is separate in some respects, but how could something which is integral and so intimately entwined in every aspect of reality be such? God and the concept of perfection is so eloquently summed up in two quotes from a legendary fable written by the inspirational 1970s writer Richard Bach .



"Don't believe what your eyes are telling you. All they show is limitation. Look with your understanding. Find out what you already know and you will see the way to fly."

  • Jonathan Livingston Seagull



This underlies that the mysteries of the universe can not simply be solved by our material senses but by introspection into the unlimited nature and mental phenomenon of the mind. This theme is explored in the second quote. Bach illustrates the limited nature of the material platform and the eternal truth which is tied to consciousness.



"You will begin to touch heaven, Jonathan, in the moment that you touch perfect speed. And that isn't flying a thousand miles an hour, or a million, or flying at the speed of light. Because any number is a limit, and perfection doesn't have limits. Perfect speed, my son, is being there."

-Jonathan Livingston Seagull



The journey to seek the fundamental truth indeed has a beginning, and yet it is the first step on a path, a never ending cycle of maturation. Perfection is not a destination, or a moment, a time or place. It is beyond any religion, practice, or school. It is the never ending compounding knowledge gained through the exploration of the self. When we see that which is outside of us it is in some aspect a part of us, influencing our thoughts and behaviors and we influencing it. That which is subject and object are in some respects non different they form a symbiotic relationship of understanding. It is a comforting thought to realize that the same basic components that make up the cosmos are what also are within us. Within is the universe and reality itself. We are a reflection of the universe and in turn the universe is also a reflection of us. This is a type of intelligence which is beyond all material knowledge. It is an undeniable awareness and form of consciousness which recognizes the interconnectedness of all things beyond time and space. It has been tried to be described throughout times and various cultures through various modes,processes, and philosophy. This thought is only the foundation which one should use to springboard into the realm of the metaphysical. The spiritual is a deeply personal experience which is revealed to the practitioner and seeker on an individual basis. There is a certain level of wisdom, knowledge, and discernment necessary to get to this sort of connection. It is tied in some aspects to the conventional, but may often require some intuition or unconventional means of understanding. I think it is described best in the Tao Te Ching by LaoTzu when it is stated



"Approach it and there is no beginning; follow it and there is no end. You can't know it, but you can be it, at ease in your own life. Just realize where you come from: this is the essence of wisdom"

-Tao Te Ching



This highlights the fact that reality cant be known in the traditional sense as learned knowledge but rather it is something one experiences and is indeed a personalized experience though there will be strong similarities of a general experience there will be various aspects of this revelation which will be unique to our own levels of awareness and understanding. Another great quote is.



"The Tao that can be told of is not the eternal Tao; The name that can be named is not the eternal name."

-Tao Te Ching



Simply put it is a Truth, it is thee Truth which is beyond all religion, logos, imago, and material conceptions. The trouble is often where to start, which is what religion is meant for. Religion can be said to be the foundation of discipline. Without such discipline it can be very difficult to reach the spiritual platform one wishes to be at. The best analogy is that understanding the immaterial is like learning music, for some it may take some time, some learn by ear, some can just pick it up, some learn to read music, others could never learn to read music. Also that being there is a type of freedom of expression and there are various genres, moods and expressions. There is a sense of exploration and discovery, but there isn't necessarily a destination, simply a play of form. The religions are simply different genres or different aspects or moods of the divine principle. A school is necessary to get your foundation but then it must in one sense be abandoned although incorporated so one can discover their own style, their true self, and expression of the divine. One can not subvert something unless he understands the concepts behind his doings. How can one truly take his own path without a fundamental understanding of the basics? As we mature spiritually, we begin to intuitively grasp that these paths are only stepping stones toward a greater, more personal understanding of the universe and our place within it.The process of self-discovery involves both honoring the structures that help us grow and, at some point, moving beyond them to embrace the vast, ever-evolving expression of the divine. seeking perfection is not about reaching an endpoint, but engaging with the ongoing, boundless flow of existence.



© Copyright 2024 George A. Hopkins (adowney708 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2328098-Meditations