*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2328742-Coastal-Exchange-Insipid-to-Incensed
Rated: E · Other · Other · #2328742
It speaks for itself. Just standing in line, at coffee shop, in a casino, by the shore.
In the queue, I observed a seasoned habitué of these markets, his discourse meandering through topics as diverse as his familial heritage, theological musings, and athletic pursuits. An adage once reached my ears: the substance of one's words fades, but the emotional imprint endures. Verbosity is his forte—an exercise in futility, perhaps, yet it leaves one in a state of placid equanimity, not unlike the effects of certain pharmaceuticals. A myriad of thoughts, inconsequential individually, coalesce into a tapestry of mild entertainment.

My presence at this coastal bazaar imbues me with a sense of contentment. The paucity of my means for exchange scarcely diminishes my experience. I find myself ensconced in the café, anticipating its offerings, though the evening's excessive crowd and the protracted wait amidst a cacophony of inane utterances somewhat tarnish the ambiance. It's a peculiar phenomenon—the human propensity to disturb the air with vapid articulations.

I seldom engage in discourse with individuals at the market, and for good reason. However, on this occasion, this particularly inebriated and insistent fellow compelled me to lend an ear to his boastful tales of wealth and mercantile prowess. Uncertain whether his words were mere vapid utterances or carried substance, I, emboldened by his claims of affluence, ventured to propose a modest investment in one of my enterprises.

To my astonishment, he took great umbrage at this suggestion, as if I had committed some egregious social faux pas. This reaction stood in stark contrast to the demeanor of my usual associates at the locations of the Task. While they might occasionally express irritation, such an affronted response would be utterly foreign to them.

This incident served as a poignant reminder and reinforced my appreciation for the elevated quality of character among my fellow colleague-participants in the Task who, despite occasional vexations, possess an inherent willingness to extend aid to their fellows in times of need.

© Copyright 2024 Eloi Serre (eserre at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2328742-Coastal-Exchange-Insipid-to-Incensed