*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2329078-Theyre-Coming-To-Get-You-Barbara
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Folklore · #2329078
Why some customs are sound.
Barbara's eyes watched intently as her Grandmother poured a generous bowl of fresh milk, which she then carried to the door and set on the step outside.

"What are you doing Gramma?" She asked in her little girl voice.

"Putting out milk for the fey ones Dearie, so they leave us alone."

"And does you do that every night?" Barbara already knew the answer, but liked to be reassured about such matters.

"Yes Dearie, every night."

There was a contemptuous snort from armchair by the fire. Grandmother gave the back of the chair a look.

"It keeps us safe from their mischief Dearie. Now you be a good girl and get ready for bed."

Barbara with great deliberation undressed, and then pulled on her night gown with equal care.

Grandad appeared, and scooped to pick her up.

"Come now little Barbara, it is time for bed." He intoned, and carried her up the stairs. He pulled back the bedclothes and checked that the stone bottle that was warming the bed was carefully wrapped. Then he lifted Barbara in, and pulled the clothes up around her. She snuggled down immediately.

Grandfather leaned over and whispered,

"They're coming to get you Barbara!"

The little girl's eyes widened with horror.

"Who are Grandpa?"

"The fairies Barbara. They're coming to get you."

The child squealed and hid her head under the bedclothes."

Grandfather chuckled and made his way back downstairs.

"I wish you wouldn't scare the girl so Hans. It's very cruel."

"And I wish you wouldn't fill her head with such nonsense." Was the curt reply.

Grandfather waited till his wife had gone to bed. Then he quietly opened the door, and picking up the bowl, threw the milk into the darkness. Setting down the bowl he smiled to himself and muttered 'Superstitious nonsense.' as he closed and locked the door.

The next morning Barbara hadn't come down to breakfast.

Grandfather climbed the stairs. Pushing open the door he walked towards the small bundle of bedclothes.

"They're coming to get you Barbara." He said loudly.

The bundle stirred, then as he pulled back the bedclothes Grandfather saw a wizened little face, with a slit for a mouth, and the most evil expression he had ever seen.

"We've already been greybeard." rasped the changeling creature, before leaping out of the bed, and jumping out of the window. It's spiteful laughter could be heard as it disappeared into the woods.
© Copyright 2024 Adherennium Dr of Ghoulishness (adherennium at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2329078-Theyre-Coming-To-Get-You-Barbara