*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2329226-Costumes
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #2329226
Being somewhat romantic really.
Lucy Van Pelt: "A person should always choose a costume which is in direct contrast to her own personality."
from 'It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown'


Costumes

"Hey. You're going to the Halloween Dance aren't you?"

Madison plopped down opposite Sophia, who was reading a book whilst she ate her lunch.

Sophia looked across and smiled, but shook her head slightly.

"Aw! Come on you have to go. Did no one ask you? Is that it?"

"Someone asked me." Sophie sounded indignant, "I just don't think I'd enjoy it. that's all."

"So you're going to stay home and read..." Madison lifted Sophia's book, "Naked Statistics by Charles Wheelan. You total perv." Teased Madison.

Sophia laughed and set the book to one side, having quickly made a mental note of the page number.

"I take it you're going. Why are you so all fired up for me to?"

"Because I've had this like totally awesome idea that's why."

Sophia raised an eyebrow.

"Elucidate please." She invited.

Madison shook her head in mock disgust at the high-brow language, though in truth she was at least as bright as her friend.

Anyone looking at them together might have taken them as sisters, as they were of similar height and build, and shared having blue eyes and fair hair. Madison they would soon realise was the extrovert of the two, and Sophia the shy bookish one.

"You know 'It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown', where Lucy says 'A person should always choose a costume which is in direct contrast to her own personality.'"

"And then puts on a witch outfit."

"That's the one."

"Yes?"

"Well I think we should go as each other."

Sophia stared.

"What do you mean?"

"I'll go as you, and you go as me."

"That does not explain anything!"

"Okay - what were you going to go as?"

"I wasn't - if you remember going to go at all." Said Sophia dryly.

"If you went with Logan, what would you dress as?"

Sophia looked embarrassed.

"Well?"

"I was thinking of going as a bunny girl."

If this had been a story, Madison's jaw would have dropped at this point, but it isn't so she simply replied,

"OMG you totally would look adorable as a bunny, but then, so will I."

"What are you going as?" Asked Sophia.

"I was going to go as a frost queen, you know, total ice maiden."

"Yes, I can imagine you having fun dressed like that."

"So will you."

"Huh?"

"That's my idea, we each dress in the other's costume."

"But people will still know it's us, I mean you as a bunny girl is still obviously you and not me."

"Nu-uh! This is the clever bit, we both wear face masks."

Sophia thought about this, and then realised that she was going to allow herself to be persuaded. It actually did sound rather fun.

"So Logan asked you? Did you say no?"

"I said I'd think about it."

"Have you got his number?"

Sophia lifted her phone.

"Okay, gimme." Said Madison and took the phone."

"Hello, Logan? Yes it's Sophia. Hi. Is the offer of a date to the dance still open? Yes I'd love to go with you. Thanks. Yes. Okay." Madison reeled off Sophia's address. "6 o clock. Okay I'll be ready. Yes. Okay. Bye."

She passed the phone back to Sophia.

"What the...

How is he going to pick you up at my address?"

"Easy, I'll tell Jayden that I'm going to yours to get ready and he can pick you up there, and Logan can get me."

"Jayden?"

"Yes."

"As in Captain of the school Football team, as in total sports fanatic Jayden?"

"That's him." Said Madison mischievously.

"He'll never believe I'm you."

"Want to bet? Jayden is easy to handle. All you have to do is to get him talking about Football. Then nod and say 'uh-huh!' every so often, and he's happy. Super sweet too."

As she predicted, Sophia allowed herself to be persuaded.


The Halloween Dance.

Madison was enjoying herself. She was surprised that she was. Logan was a geek. He was quiet, polite, in fact a total gentleman. He treated Madison, (though imagining her to be Sophia), as though she was the only woman on earth. But it wasn't gauche or heavy handed, or even creepy, he was just an actual honest-to-god nice guy. He told her jokes, very clever, and dry jokes. That was unexpected, but they made her laugh just the same. His one aim seemed to be that she should enjoy the evening. And she did, though she did worry just a little about the end, when Sophia and she were to reveal their subterfuge.

Sophia, dressed in shimmering cloth, and wearing her mask had felt very nervous when Jayden collected her in his car. To her immense surprise, he seemed a bit nervous too. She soon got the idea that he really liked Madison, and wanted to make a good impression. Sophia hoped he wasn't going to be very disappointed at the end of the evening.

Getting Jayden to talk about football was easy, it was obvious that he was passionate about it, and knew a great deal. As he talked, it dawned on Sophia that Jayden was talking statistics. She started listening properly, and then making the odd contibution. Jayden was surprised, but delighted. Soon the two of them were dancing close together and deep in conversation about the previous season's team results.


Masks Off

As the time for what Madison had dubbed 'The Arrival of The Great Pumpkin' drew near, both Madison and Sophia were increasingly anxious.

"Umm, Jayden, Logan...

We erm! We have a confession." Said Madison.

"We know." Said Jayden.

"What? How? What do you know?" Madison was bewildered.

"Well admittedly you do look similar." Logan began, "But there are differences, to the careful observer."

"Like you actually listened to what I was saying." Said Jayden to Sophia.

"I'm. We're sorry, we didn't mean to upset you." Said Sophia, looking close to tears.

The two men looked at one another and laughed. Then Logan took Madison and gently kissed her. Jayden took Sophia's hand and looked questioning at her. She smiled shyly and leaned forwards for her kiss.

© Copyright 2024 Adherennium Dr of Ghoulishness (adherennium at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2329226-Costumes