*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2329343-Failure-is-a-Stepping-Stone-to-Success
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Assignment · Personal · #2329343
What truth do you admire the most that you never seem to believe? Why?
         One truth I admire but struggle to believe is that "failure is a stepping stone to success." This saying is common, but I find it hard to accept, especially in a world that seems to prioritize success.
I like this idea because it suggests that failing can help us grow. Many successful people share stories about their failures and how those moments led to their achievements. However, I often feel scared to fail because I worry about what others will think of me.
         My fear of failure comes from a concern about judgement. I don’t start things that I know for sure I won’t succeed in, which hinders me from pursuing what I truly love. For example, before wanting to go into social science, I wanted to become a dentist. I was scared that I wouldn’t be able to keep up with my studies and would always think of the worst possible outcome. There would never be a plan B if I were to fail. If I do fail, it feels like it’s game over, leaving me with no options to move forward. I also think about what a disappointment I would be to my family, friends, and to everyone else that has high expectations of me.
         Even at this moment, I’m concerned about what the future holds for me, and it scares me not to know. The uncertainty of what lies ahead can be paralyzing. I often find myself caught in a cycle of overthinking, imagining all the possible scenarios—both good and bad. This fear of the unknown can prevent me from taking risks or exploring new opportunities. I worry about making choices that could lead to failure, and this anxiety often keeps me from moving forward.
         In my last project, I held back from taking creative risks because I was afraid of messing up. This led to a mediocre outcome, which just reinforced my fear of failure. I realize that this mindset can limit my understanding of success. Instead of viewing challenges as opportunities for growth, I see them as potential pitfalls that could lead to disappointment.
         I know this way of thinking isn’t the best. The idea that failure equals inadequacy can create a culture where we avoid challenges. I wonder if I’m fooling myself by thinking my worth is tied to my successes. What if embracing failure could actually help me learn and grow?
         I’ve come to understand that the fear of failure is often rooted in a desire for validation. I want to be able to prove to myself and others that I can succeed. However, this pressure can be overwhelming. It makes me question my abilities and leads to a fear of taking the first step. I realize that I need to shift my focus from external validation to internal growth.
         In conclusion, I see that I need to rethink how I view failure. I want to start seeing it as a chance to learn rather than something to avoid. By changing my perspective, I hope to build resilience and appreciate the lessons that come from setbacks. Embracing the uncertainty of the future may be daunting, but it can also be an opportunity for exploration and self-discovery. I aim to approach my journey with an open mind, ready to learn from both my successes and failures.
© Copyright 2024 jomarie.kaye (jomariekaye at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2329343-Failure-is-a-Stepping-Stone-to-Success