*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2329358-Housemates
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2329358
Flash Fiction
Housemates

“Shhh!!! What was that noise?” whispered Janet, “Could someone be in our cellar?”

Attempting to whisper, Ted said “If someone is down there, I’m gonna whip em!” he started getting up, Janet pulled him back.

“What if it’s a burglar, with a gun!”

“Then it’s a stupid burglar. Why would he, or SHE, be in our basement, when we’re home! Lights on, cars in the garage…”

“Well something’s in the cellar! … Did you hear it just then?”

“Yes. I’m sure we don’t have mice. How would another creature get in?”

“Well, you know that back door’s broken, maybe it broke more! Should we go out and check?”

“Let’s check from the inside first, we can go down quietly, open the cellar door and then make loud noises on the other side of the cellar. Maybe whatever it is will run out the door. It’s light enough, we’ll see it!”

“That sounds good! Let’s go!”

They tip toed down the steps, Ted quietly opened the outside cellar door, and then tip toed over to where Janet was standing.

He nodded to Janet, and they whipped on the light and started yelling, watching the door to see what would run out. Nothing did.

Eventually they gave up, assuming whatever it was left already. They promised each other that they would get the door fixed, and went back upstairs, happy.

Harold and Bonnie watched the whole thing like a movie. When they shut the cellar door, Bonnie spoke.

“That was so cool! Are they always this crazy??”

“Most of the time! Add the food they leave around, and we’ve got it golden here! Dinner and a show!”

“You’re an idiot, Harold” Bonnie said, laughing as the two mice quietly scurried off, with the stale cupcake left on the shop table.
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2329358-Housemates