*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2329375-Night-Noises
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Death · #2329375
Tyler says goodbye to his grandmother. 300 words
Night Noises


Tyler stayed nights with his grandma at his mother’s insistence.

“She needs someone with her at night, dear. I’ll pay you every month to do it,” she’d told him. Since he had no experience, he couldn’t get a job; so, he had finally agreed.

Things had gone well for a month, and Tyler relaxed enough to sleep most nights. But this night, his grandma was restless. She woke often, shouting:

“What was that noise?”

She got so agitated; she insisted she needed to calm her nerves with hot tea. Dutifully, her grandson helped her make it and set the table the way she liked it.

They sat awhile sipping and chatting softly, when Grandma suddenly stared fixedly at the door to the garage.

“Look Tyler, Grampa here!”

Startled, the teenager stared in the direction she was looking. A mist turned into a very familiar figure.

“Sit down honey,” his grandma said as she pointed to a chair.

The see-through figure took the seat with a sigh. Grandma poured him tea, added two sugars and a dollop of cream.

“Yes dear, I do understand why you are here,” Grandma told the phantom. She turned to Tyler.

“Sweetheart, Grampa’s here to take me with him. It’s my time to go, he tells me. I admit I’ve been ready for some time. Tell the family for me and thank you. Tyler stood up and went to her.

“Are you sure, Gram?” he said as he hugged her tightly and kissed her soundly. When she nodded, he stepped back.

Silently, he watched his grandpa take the hand of the woman he’d loved all his life. Together, they walked away into the shadows.

Tyler felt for the pulse of the woman in the chair just to be sure, then he called his mom.
© Copyright 2024 dragonwoman (draygonlayd60 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2329375-Night-Noises