*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/897948-Sacrificial-Humbleness
Rated: E · Short Story · None · #897948
Paul's loss and James's gain, from a sacrifice. Gestures of hands, armies clash.
*This story has been revised after it was initially rated 2.5 by three users. Please rate what you think is appropriate.*



         They sat in natures silence. The wind whistled and the agitated leaves rolled and crackled. Still they sat, and thought, and thought. Their casting shadows and surroundings was the only way to tell that the world itself had not paused.

         “I am the King of the, Flat World.” James raised his hands and looked to his opponent, Paul the dull. What Paul had seen before him was terrifying and he gasped at such mockery.
___________________________


         James focused his mind on a wonderful feeling that was just around the corner.

“My lord, what ever shall we do?” A peasant cried. “I see no hope, we are losing men on the battlefield and you,” the peasant stuttered and his hands fidgeted “you -- you have lost your Heart.”
“Nay!” James replied in a strong voice. “Do not forget that it is I, James Kasparov, who is King. And as King I command that you do not see the death of my Heart as a loss, but rather of better times that are to come.” James looked sternly into the peasant’s eyes, “Without pains, there would be no gains.”
         All the men who knelt before King James jumped at once and gave two cries: one for the passing of the old, and another for the beginning of the new.
         As the warriors left the warm coloured cathedral King James brushed his purple velvet robe and shined his golden crown encrusted with white rubies. The cries of James’s men still echoed, and James sat, and smiled proudly.

         Distractions began to flood James and his heart raced with excitement.
___________________________


         Paul’s body began to get chills and he shivered several times.
“It’s getting cold.” And he made the much anticipated gesture.

         James had done what he never thought possible, he was dazed. He had done what was only dreamed. And once again - in reality this time - he smiled, proudly.


© Copyright 2004 Universed (universed at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/897948-Sacrificial-Humbleness