*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/982425-The-Benefits-of-Reviewing
Rated: E · Article · Writing · #982425
From the errors of others, a wise man corrects his own. {Syrus}
When I signed up with Writing.com, I did not really know what to expect. I had never encountered such a large community of writers and I felt a little shy to join and call myself a member.

I copied and pasted my first texts and I started receiving reviews. I was very excited when I opened my inbox and saw that someone I did not even know had read my text and had spent time to give me some advice.

The truth with reviews is that if you don't give them, you don't get any. If you don't get any, then, what is the purpose of being a member?

But reviews can be a double-edged weapon. Most of them are helpful and help you find the motivation. But then, there is this one --one in fifty or even less!-- and your day is ruined. For a couple of days, until you get spiced up again by another reviewer, things are at standstill.

Some reviews I receive now make me confused, sad and even angry. Of course, there are still many, many which make me happy and even blush with joy.
However, sometimes, I get the feeling that some people just don’t read.

*Confused**Frown**Angry**Bigsmile**Blush*


So here are a few pieces of advice and I sincerely hope reviewers will read and change something in the way they behave towards fellow writers.



Read what is appropriate for you to read

Or be prepared to be very open-minded.
*Confused* I got a review giving me a 2.5 rating because the reviewer thought I talked too much about sex in my text. He clearly did not like the content, and obviously could not be open-minded enough to take the necessary distance to help me with style.
Everyone wants to know if readers would buy the story. However, if your own feelings get in the way of reviewing, choose another piece.
It is fine if reviewers want to give the writer an idea of the "temperature" when he read the story. However, likes or dislikes should not interfere with the review.

I followed what Flitcraft once wrote about constructive reviews (unfortunately, the item does not exist anymore on WDC) and I do give my personal opinion in reviews but as a plus, not as a reason to lower the rating.


If you cannot review for x y z reason, don't just send a note through the review with a rating

*Frown* I received a 3.5 rating for a short story I wrote in French and the reader wanted to let me know he would love to read it in English. So he used the review box and since he had to include a rating, he gave me a 3.5.

If you use the review form, you MUST rate, so if you just want to send a note to the writer, use email.


If you are under the age limit, then don't read!

Common sense, one would say!
*Angry* I got a review for one of my pieces rated +18. The person is 14 and when I replied to let him know that I understood there were mistakes and I was going to fix them, he misread me and thought I was being sarcastic. Therefore, I got a virulent reply with many arguments I prefer to forget.

It is clear: when a writer thinks a young person should not read, then they should comply. If they are not self-conscious enough, and they read the item anyway, then they at least should not review!
The problem that arises then is that they do not know how to communicate and face the writer's reaction.
It is a maturity issue. If the item is rated +18, then the content is directed to older people.


If the rating does not match the review

*Confused* It can be quite disturbing. The writer gets a nice review ("well done, keep writing" or even as short as "nice poem") and the rating is below 4. We all know 3 is average, because it is written in the left column very often, we know that 5 is for "the best of the best". But would it not be great to understand why we get a 3, or a 3.5 (which is very acceptable!) when the review does not give the hint?

At this stage, I kindly invite you to read The Ben's enlightening article on reviewing
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#977358 by Not Available.


How to rate?

*Confused*Some reviewers have a special way of rating items.
If a piece took a long time to write, then they rate high, because there is a lot of work involved.
If it is a poll, or a very short piece, they rate low, because it did not take much to write.
I have to say this confuses me, because if you rate a poll, you rate it against other polls you have read, not against a 50,000-word epic. Everything must be put in perspective, so it might be a good idea to consider this when rating.

In case you are wondering, here is THE article on rating everyone should read!
 Comment-In-A-Box  (E)
My view on and methods of rating items on Writing.Com.
#544247 by The StoryMistress


If you review an item and the writer edits it following your suggestions

*Bigsmile* A nice thing to do is to go back to the piece and raise your rating. You can do that by clicking on "CLEAR" beside your rate and re-entering a new higher rating.

It just seems fair to the writer who has taken your advice and acknowledges in this way that you made a difference in the life of his item.


Be courteous!

*Blush* Some readers review in a chain manner. After the first few reviews, they have the swing of it, and their comments become --unwillingly-- a little sharper, a little colder.
Pay attention to the sensitivity of the writer. I think most of us love getting reviews, and I personally always follow constructive suggestions. However, I get run-down when I get a snappy review.


Last but not least, my humble condolences to all the anonymous reviewers!

*Angry* *Angry* I can't help but get really mad at those disgraceful fellow writers, who have access to my stories and hide behind an anonymous front.
What are you scared of? Why don't you display your name? Why do you think writing an anonymous review gives you the right to be impolite?
Shame on you! Scurvy readers!
I wish anyone who does not have the neck to give me his name should just not bother reviewing my items and spoiling my day and my attempt to being happy with my writings.

Here is Khalish's back up on anonymous reviews (and hate ratings) - Entry number 13 -
"MISCELLANEA


In conclusion, I don't mean to say reviews should be good and rating should be high. As a matter of fact, I really like to get some "kicks in the butt" at times, because it helps improving.

If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems. And that's a big mistake. (F. Wikzek)


The reviews that help me write better are the ones that say "I give you a 3.5 because you mispelled all over and the last sentence does not read well" or "Nice try, what about focusing on one event instead of three in the piece?"
Then I edit my item and I write to the reviewer to inform him of the changes.

The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing. (John Powell)

I must agree with Khalish, I sincerely do prefer to have reviews, no matter how much of a kick in the butt they are than having no reviews at all.
But, just like him, I would prefer people to have the integrity of signing their review and accepting the discussion.

Finally, I would like to say that there are many good people in the Writing.com community and I am very proud I joined them. The feedback I get is a wonderful incentive to writing.
© Copyright 2005 Florence C. (isa-danton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/982425-The-Benefits-of-Reviewing